s i x t e e n

BRUCE
I pulled up into Cheri's driveway. This time, her truck was parked perfectly. I put my car in park and kill the ignition. Getting the kids out of the car was a piece of cake. But before I could put Britten on my hip, I hear Cheri's door open. I turn around to see Cheri walking outside in a sundress that dragged the ground. She was holding it up as her smile widened at the sight of the kids.

"Titi's babies!" She cooed as she walked over to Britney who was standing on her feet. She picked Britney up from the ground and kissed her on her cheek. "How's Titi's baby?" She asked Britney.

Britney cheesed without a word.

"And look at my big man!" Cheri laughed as she poked Britten on his side. He laughed and leaned his head back. I held him tighter so that he wouldn't fall. "What are y'all doing here?" She asked me.

"Tereny left to go handle some business so I decided to just leave the house and come here. They've been stuck up in the house." I say as we walk into the house. I close the door behind me.

"Uncle Bruce!" Cashmere shouted as she stood up from the floor. She ran over Finns and wrapped her arms around me.

"What's up?" I pat her on her back.

"Can I hold Britten?" She asked me, holding her hands out. I nodded and handed him over to her.

"Be careful." I warn her.

Britten was heavy to her, but she managed to keep him up. She looked like she was struggling, but she walked him over to the toys she had scattered all over the floor.

"Let's play doctor!" Cashmere said to Britten.

"Keep your voice down, Cassie. Jeremih is asleep." Cheri told her.

I shook my head and followed Cheri into the kitchen. She walked over to the stove that rested a steaming pot. I just sat down at the table and watch her.

My mind was still on the fact that Tereny had gone to the doctor and never mentioned it to me. I didn't even know that she'd made an appointment with anyone. But, I guess that all came with taking steps to getting divorces. Their business is no longer your business. And that didn't sit well with me. I was starting to wonder if I really wanted a divorce. Only because my feelings were starting to be bothered by the things that Tereny did.

"What's on your mind?" Cheri asked me, wiping her hands off.

"Nothing." I say as I sit back into the chair.

"You sure? You seemed a little spaced out like something is on your mind." She walked over to me and sat down in the chair next to me.

I shake my head.

"I don't think I want a divorce anymore." I admit to her. Cheri sighed and rested her elbow onto the table.

"What's changing your mind?" She asked.

"I don't know. I guess not being able to know what's going on in her life. It's just starting to effect me a lil bit."

"Well, that's something you're gonna have to get over, honestly. You cant hold onto a marriage because you wanna know their every move. And besides, your feelings aren't all about her. You're still stuck on someone else." She removed her elbow and folded her arms.

I really didn't feel like thinking about Gabby. I was doing real good without that, but now that it was brought back to my attention, I was feeling horrible.

"I've been doing real good with not thinking much about her. I don't wanna go back there now." I say.

"Sorry." Cheri retorted. "But don't let it beat you up inside. This here is beyond your control. Everything is on her. She made the first choice. You just have to follow accordingly."