t w e n t y s i x

BRUCE
I wake up to my alarm clock going off. I opened my eyes and looked around Cashmere's room. There was pink. Pink everywhere. Pink dresser, pink closet doors, pink shelves with barbies, just pink.

    I look to the side of me to see Britney knocked out on her stomach. Her light snores made my heart flutter. I sighed and inched myself out of the bed, trying not to wake her. She was a light ass sleeper.

    Walking out of the room, I could smell breakfast being made. And instantly, my stomach started growling. I walked out from the hallway and looked towards the kitchen to find Cheri in her robe, standing at the stove. I guess she felt my presence because she turned around and looked at me.

    I noticed Britten sitting in Jeremih's high chair with sliced pancakes and eggs. He was going to town too.

    I walked over to him and kissed the side of his forehead.

    "Good morning." She smiled.

    "Good morning." I said back to her. "Where's your little sex slave?" I asked her as I walked into the kitchen and to the fridge.

    "He's not my sex slave. And he's outside." She answered me as she cut the stove off.

    "Sounds like a sex slave to me the way y'all was humping all night long." I say, referring to me still feeling tired. I sat up most of the night listening to them getting it on.

    "Well, don't get mad at me because you ain't getting any. I'm still tryna get my swerve on and I'm getting it." She said, making my stomach turn and my body heat up.

    I shot her a unit and she caught it and smiled at me. She scraped some grits out of her pot. I eyed all of the food on the counter and started drooling.

    "You can eat when you ready." She said to me as she put the pot in the sink to clean it out.

    She ain't have to tell me twice, I was going for it. I grabbed a plate and started loading it up with stuff.

    While I was fixing my plate up, Cheri's phone started ringing. I watched her as she dried her hands and walked over to the table and grabbed it. And when she looked down at the phone, her body tensed up a little and she let out a little groan.

    "Whattup witchu?" I questioned her.

    "It's Tereny." She said just as she silenced her phone and put it back down on the kitchen table. "Bruce, she's been blowing me up this morning and I don't know what to even tell that girl." She looked concerned. "Why not just let her have them until you win the custody battle?"

    "Because she's on drugs. I don't feel safe with them being around her like that. It was cool when I was at work and leaving them under her care for nine hours, but...I don't think it's safe." I explain to her again.

    "She's probably worried sick about them kids, man. I just don't feel right anymore. Then I got Lj in my ear. He's not happy about what we got going on. He thinks we're holding them hostage." I let out a deep breath.

    "What she gon do? Nothing." I say as I sit down with my plate at the table. She shook her head and crossed her arms.

    "I'm only doing this because you had my back before. But I'm not agreeing with what you're doing." She said with an attitude. "And you need to unblock her and tell her what you're doing so she won't be walking around here anxious. You know she got a mental illness."

    Cheri popped me on the back of my head before she walked completely out of the kitchen and to wherever. I roll my eyes to the ceiling and stand up from the table to walk back to Cash's room to get my phone.

    I figured the least I could do was just unblock her like Cheri was telling me to. I went to Tereny's contact and looked at Britney who was still knocked out. She did kinda stay up all night, watching tv. I just left her to herself because I was trying to ignore what was going on in the other room. Poor Cash for having to hear all that.

    And just as sure as I unblocked Tereny's contact, my phone went to ringing. She was calling me and I didn't want to answer it. But I knew I had to. It was a must to tell her what I was doing.

    I accept the call and sigh into the phone, not really wanting to be bothered by her. I didn't even wanna hear her voice. I despised her.

    "Bruce! Where are my kids?!" Tereny shouted into the phone. "I went by the house and sat there for hours and you never showed up. Are you at Cheri's house?" She was talking and talking fast.

    "They're safe." I tell her.

    "At Cheri's house?" She sounded a bit more calmer. "I'm on my way to get them." Hearing that, that's when the match had struck and lit inside of me.

    "They're not going anywhere with you." I tell her, ready to argue.

    "What do you mean they're not going anywhere with me? I'm their mother."

    "Tereny, all bullshit aside, I don't think you're in your best state of mind to watch the kids. I think you need some time to yourself for a little while. At least to get yourself together." I tell her with a smile on my face. "You just had an abortion and the last thing that should be on your agenda is chasing around busy children. You need to rest."

    "Bruce, I'm coming to get my children!" She shouted. I pulled the phone away from my ear and shook my head.

    "You can come, but you won't be leaving with them." I walk out of the room and into the kitchen where Britten was seated and let him down from the highchair.

    "Bruce? Are you really serious?"

    "As a fucking heart attack." I pick Britten up and walk with him to the bedroom where Britney was laying asleep.

    I gather their clothes up and rush to Cheri's room to find her walking into her bathroom. I muted my phone.

    "I'm going to my house. Tereny's coming and I don't wanna be here. Help me get Britney in my car." I say just before unmuting the phone. Cheri rushed behind me out of the room.

    "Do you hear me?!" Tereny shouted into the phone. "I want my kids! You can't keep them from me!"

    "I already told they're safe. That should be enough, Tereny. Don't make this hard." I watch as Cheri got Britney up. I grabbed Britten and we rushed outside, pass Lj who was smoking weed.

    "You can't keep them!" She whined.

    "Tereny, I gotta go." I say just before hanging up on her.

    I could see the anger in Cheri's eyes, but I didn't give a fuck. I didn't have time to argue with her. I needed to leave this house and fast. I've gotten Cheri involved a little more than I wanted to, but things would be better if I were home in my own zone.

    I didn't worry about saying anything to Cheri before pulling off and speeding down the road to get home. Since Tereny already been there to my house, I should be good to go home. And she may come knocking at my door, but I'm not letting the kids leave with her.

    I did my research and I'm just waiting on the authorities to be called so that she can have a slap in her face. There was nothing the cops could do to me since my name is in the birth certificates. They're as good as mine until we settle this shit out in court. Even then, they'll be in my care. They ain't gonna be with her.

    To be honest, I felt like shit. I was tired, my body was tired, and my mind was tired. I just wasn't focused and I wasn't thinking straight. In a matter of time, all this shit will be over. That's what I have to keep telling myself.

    In the meantime, I was going to put Britney and Britten in daycare first thing tomorrow morning before work. They way, I knew they were safe and she couldn't get them. I didn't care how much the shit cost. I was protecting my kids at all cost.

    Nobody can fuck with me.