f o r t y f o u r

BRUCE
My mood was down to the negatives. This shit was fucking with my mental by the minute. Just the thought that Tereny could actually win this case and have the kids had me deep in my emotions. I almost cancelled this evening to spend it at home to plot on how I could get her caught up in Tray's work. But then, that would be playing with her freedom. I didn't want to put the woman behind bars because of my selfishness.

    Hearing the bells jingling had grabbed my attention, making me turn around and plant my eyes on her. All I could do was smile as my eyes danced all over her curves.

    When she looked at me, her smile widened and she picked up speed as she walked my way. Quick enough, she dove into my arms and I wrapped my arms around her. She giggled against my ear and pulled away. She brushed her hair back and perked up.

    "I'm surprised." She said just as I walked behind her to pull her seat back for her to sit in.

    "Why is that?" I asked her as I took my seat in front of her.

    "You're here. And I don't really know what to say. All I know is, you're much more stronger than the average patient who's just finding out they've got cancer." Shakil admitted.

    As strong as I looked on the outside, I was full of fear in the inside. Just the thought of my life possibly ending really had me scared to succumb. I mean, I had plenty of things I wanted to do before my life ended. Part of me just kept telling myself that I'm going to beat it, no matter what. I have to keep telling myself that I'm strong and nothing is going to happen to me.

    I kinda felt that if I continue to live life like I wasn't sick, the cancer would eventually go away. Live my life to the fullest. Why not start with being around ones who are always positive about something? Shakil was right up my alley with that. She's always happy about something.

    I found her on Facebook after I left the hospital and I've been in contact with her ever since. She encourages me. I'm glad that I met her. I just wanted to show her that I appreciate her for keeping me full of laughed in my time of need with all this drama going on between Tereny and me.

    To be honest, I haven't seen my kids since Tereny has had them both and it only makes me angry at her even more. I've even called her a couple of times and in response, nothing. It's like now that she's got Tray, she's not worried about me in any way. I can't say that it doesn't bother me.

    "Yea." I say, not really wanting to talk about my cancer.

    "You came to Gainesville all by yourself?" She asked me, looking concerned.

    "Yea, why?"

    "You shouldn't be on the road alone, you know?"

    "Let's not be concerned about my cancer. Let's just enjoy the fact that I am here to spend time with a friend. That's worth the travels. I'm good." I try to convince her.

    Really, I was dying inside. But she didn't need to know all of that right now. The important thing was, I seemed happy and wanted to keep it that way, regardless. I needed to be positive.

    "Sooo..." she said as she picked up her Manuel's menu, her eyes still on me. "Is anything here good?"

    I chuckled. "What, you live up here and ain't ever been in here before?"

    "Well, considering that I've just moved here, no. Besides, this a fancy looking restaurant. I'm not used to fancy." She said as she looked around at all of the nicely dressed people. "To be honest, I'm a country girl. I don't do this kinda stuff. You can take me to Corky Bells and feed me gator tail all day long." She laughed.