t h i r t y f o u r

TERENY
I remember laying down for a little nap earlier and now that my eyes were on the clock right next to me, I realized that I had taken more than just a nap. I literally went to sleep! There's no telling what trouble Britney had possibly given Tray.

Rolling up out of the bed, I readjust my clothes as I walk out of the room that Tray was allowing for me to sleep in. I looked down from the railing and could see Britney sitting on the floor, playing with a few toys Tray had taken upon himself to buy to keep her occupied. But I couldn't see Tray anywhere in sight.

Yawning, I walk down the stairs and over to my daughter to lean down and give her a kiss. I hadn't been feeling too well after completing the abortion and I have been flowing pretty heavily. So I know me being on foot for a long amount of time, it wasn't happening.

I just knew that I wasn't going to be sad that this was happening. I was just going to tough it out and act as if things were okay. As if this was just a normal period that I'm having.

I sucked in air as I looked into the kitchen. Tray was standing at the counter. It looked as if his focus was fixed onto something on the counter. Whatever it was, it had his full attention.

"I got these too?" A female's voice said, from his phone, I'm assuming.

"Oh yea, them shits is tight, bruh. I might have to cop me a pair." He responded.

"Yea, you need to. Niggas is buying the shit up quick. You need to hurry back down here. My bed ain't been the same without you."

My eyes damn near popped out at her words as I stopped dead planted at the entrance of the kitchen. I didn't want to interrupt whatever he had going on. So, I made a u-turn from the kitchen and back into the living room where Britney was sitting and sat down on the sofa near her.

She grabbed one of her Barbie dolls and stood to her feet. She handed the Barbie over to me and I smiled, taking it into my hand.

"Ooh, she's pretty." I say to her.

She didn't bother to say anything as she held up another Barbie in her hand and rested beside me. She held her Barbie close to the one on my hand and turned their heads. I just watched as I didn't want to interrupt whatever she was doing.

Britney leaned her Barbie's head in closer to the one that I was holding and made a kissing noise. I giggled a little and shook my head.

I was going to say something, but I heard Tray's voice coming closer to the room so I objected.

"Man, you need a whole team fa that. Ain't no way that nigga gonna lose!"

I looked his way as he was holding up his phone and he looked at me. And when he looked at me, it looked as if he had just laid eyes on something that isn't supposed to be somewhere. I didn't know what to think or even what to say.

"Lemme hit you back." He said into the phone.

"You betta hit me back too or it's gonna be me and you." The female said from the other end.

"I gotchu, man. Ain't no need for threats."

He ended the call and dropped his phone into his pocket and cleared his throat.

"I was jus..." his words trailed off.

"No need to explain. What you do is your business. I'm just staying here." I explain, not wanting him to think that him talking with another girl had me feeling some type of way because it didn't.

I shifted in my seat, automatically feeling uncomfortable. I'm sure he could see the lack of comfort in my face, but just didn't want to ask right away. He just cleared his throat and walked completely into the living room to have a seat across from me and Britney.