t h i r t y s i x

BRUCE
This shit was in my blood. No doubt about it. It was a crazy thing, but I came from a long line full of FBI's. Cheri was just the best one in the family. And while I didn't really feel up to this shit, I knew that it needed to be done to cure my suspicion. I wasn't going to be satisfied until I knew where Tereny laid her and my daughter's head.

So first thing, when I saw Tereny back out of the driveway, I rushed outside and hopped in my car to follow behind her. I left Cheri back at the house to watch after Britten while I did this. I just had a feeling Tereny was going to show up to the house once I told her I had her medicine and she fell into the trap just the way I wanted her. Everything was working out in my favor.

Of course I had to hear Cheri's mouth as I followed behind Tereny about how she was damn near jeopardizing her relationship with LJ. And to be completely honest, I didn't get what LJ's problem was with Cheri helping me. She was being here for me in my time of need. Something she was supposed to be doing. Her loyalty stood with me at the end of the day, just the same way my loyalty stayed with her in her time of need.

I hung up the phone on Cheri because she kept yelling in my ear about the shit that was going on and I needed to focus.

Shaking my head as Tereny stopped at a red light, I started remembering how I used to get onto to Tereny about not checking her rear view all the time. But her not being consistent with checking it worked out in my favor. She never even suspected that she was being followed.

As the light turned green, I continued behind her, questioning myself as to what hotel she was staying in because we were pass all of the hotels in Palatka. She was now driving onto the bridge, crossing over into the eastside of Palatka. East Palatka only owned one hotel and just as sure as we passed that hotel, my suspicions got worse.

It already had my mind fucked up when I realized back in Palatka that Tereny was going nowhere near her parents house to where she said that my daughter was. It damn near had my heart beating outta my chest.

As we drove further into East Palatka, I grabbed my phone and tried multitasking in between keeping my eyes on the road and trying to go through my contact list. It was a little late, but I needed to get some understanding from this shit that was happening.

Placing the phone to my ear, I take deep breaths before I hear the other line being picked up.

"Hello? Bruce? Is everything okay?" I could hear Ms. Ana's voice and I immediately started feeling like an asshole. She sounded tired. But my suspicions seemed more important than her sleep.

"Everything is fine, Ms. Ana. I'm sorry to wake you, but I just spoke with Tereny and she told me that Britney was there. Is it okay if I come and pick her up?"

The phone began to shift around on the other end and I watched as Tereny turned down this dark and hallow road. She turned her brights on so that she could see better. Because I had her lead, I didn't worry about turning mine on.

"Well that's strange, because mija never brought her by. I haven't spoken to Tereny in days. Is she alright?" Ms. Ana's voice held more than an ounce of concern.

My body temperature was rising. I could feel the heat bouncing off of me and circulating around the car. I clenched my teeth, tight together before blowing out air.

"Nevermind, Ms. Ana. I'm sorry to bother you. I just remembered she told me that Britney was going to be with Antoinette. My fault. Let me give her a call."

Before Ms. Ana could say anything else, I ended the call and dropped my phone. I gripped the wheel tighter and slowed down once I saw Tereny pull down this road by the name of Hawksin.

I didn't know everything about East Palatka, but I did know that Hawksin was the road where all the fancy houses lay. And I wasn't at all impressed to see Tereny's car driving down this road either.

Tereny slowly pulled into a driveway. The light from outside was bright enough for me to see that she was pulling in next to an Audi. Just as her car went to a complete stop, I cut my lights and squinted my eyes, trying my hardest not to get.

My blood was instantly boiling over hot when I saw Tereny get out of the car. And that's when it had hit me like a whole fucking brick house.

The taste in my mouth had gone sour, and my heart was beating extra fast. My palms was sweating and I just felt the need to punch something.

Heated, I grab my phone from in between the seat and armrest where it had dropped earlier. I dialed Cheri's number and contorted my lips as I waited patiently for the line to be picked up.

Then there was Tereny, walking into the house like she owned the shit. I could've died right then.

"You done playing FBI, so I can get home to my kids?" Cheri asked in a bored tone.

"You told me that nigga Martray riding around in an all black Audi right?" I asked her.

"Yea, he got one."

"And you say he not too long ago came up on some cash right?"

"Uh huh. He got a house in East Palatka. A nice one, might I add. Why you asking all these questions about Tray for?"

I sucked my teeth and tossed my phone in the backseat without a care. Angrily removing my seatbelt, I open my car door and damn near break my ankle trying to get out of the car fast.

Full of rage, I slam my car door, surprised the window didn't break from the force I had given it.

I didn't give a shit about nothing anymore. Fuck trying to be on the outs. I was pissed the fuck off with Tereny. She on some other shit and I don't like it. And I prayed to God she didn't have my daughter in that house or all hell was going to break the fuck loose.

I cracked my knuckles as I walked up to the house without a care in the world of who saw me. My mind was on something else. And that was getting my daughter.

I didn't give a fuck about Tereny being with Martray. They could be fucking off and I wouldn't give a fuck. But I meant what I said about Britney not being around him. Tereny crossed that line and I wasn't letting the shit go.

She don fucked up, for real. Words couldn't describe how pissed off I was. But she was gonna know. I was about to make sure of that.