t h i r t y s e v e n

TERENY
"He ain't try you or nothing?"

    Was the first thing to come from Tray's mouth when I walked through the door. He was resting on the sofa with a sleeping Britney in his arms. I sighed and set my bag of medicine on the island and walked into the living room with them.

    "It's pretty obvious that he hates me. But no. He didn't try anything. He did say that he was going to have the divorce papers sent to my parents house so, I guess I'm going over there tomorrow." I plopped down on the sofa across from them and sighed.

    "That's a good thing. You can see your mom and dad. They'll know you good." He insisted. "Lemme put her upstairs."

    Tray stood up from the sofa and left the room. I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking back on the words Bruce had said before I could leave his house.

    "Man, fuck her!"   

    I don't know why, but it was bothering me a lot. Just to know that he didn't give a damn about me, it really played with my mind. I just couldn't shake the feeling that as much as I wanted to believe that Bruce was being himself, Paci was somewhere inside of him.

    Shaking my head, I could hear Tray coming back down the stairs.

    "You need to hit up Walgreens and try to see if you can change the address or something so he won't get your medicine anymore." Tray said as he dropped back down on the sofa.

    I was so stuck on what was going on that I didn't really realize that Tray was staring at me. When I noticed, he gave me a small smile.

    "What's on your mind?" He asked me.

    "Nothing." I lied.

    "Tell me anything. I ain't gonna fight it outta you. You tell me when you ready." He smirked and looked away from me.

    The doorbell going off made me sit up straight in my seat. Tray looked at me, confused.

    "Who the fuck could that be? Don't nobody come see me." He said as he got up from the sofa. I smiled at him and relaxed a little as I let out a deep sigh.

    "You know, you never said anything else about cooking?" He joked. I giggled a little bit and stood up.

    "What do you wanna eat?" I asked him as I started walking towards the kitchen.

    "I been wanting some wings." He said just before twisting the doorknob.

    I looked out of the door and I could've shit bricks. To say that I wasn't expecting who was at the door to actually be standing at the door was an understatement. I couldn't believe that he was standing at the door. And from the look on his face, he could kill me and Tray both.

    "Bruce?" I say his name, standing still in my tracks, afraid of what could possibly happen next.

    "So this where you been staying at this whole time? You wanna divorce my ass so you can be with this punk ass nigga?!" Bruce shouted.

    "Hol' up, lil nigga! I know we don't fuck wit each other, but you gon respect me and Tereny in my house, man." Tray said to Bruce with calmness in his tone.

    "It's not like that." I say as I take a step behind Tray as if I could defuse the situation before it got worse.

    "Then what the fuck is it like? And where the fuck is my daughter?" Bruce asked, looking almost as if he was seconds away from throwing a punch at Tray.

    "She's upstairs. Wanna see her?" Tray answered.

    "Give me my child." Bruce said as he took a step closer. Tray stood there in the way, refusing to let him any further.