1: On the Move

ON THE MOVE

I unscrewed the cap off the top of my drink to take a sip, but pause. For the first time in my life, everything seemed to make sense. All the books in the bookshelf in my room were beautifully stacked with the last one at a slight tilt to make up for the extra space. Dust was floating all around me moving in one direction as if it had somewhere to be. I knew this because it was visible through the few light rays drifting from faults in the curtains covering window.

My life seemed to be different now that I was struck by a revelation. Of course as long as you are a teenager nothing is too special but I knew that the course of my life would be different now...

Hah listen to me, narrating this like it is something meaningful or deep. It's not like I was anyone super amazing who could influence the world in some way or had any crazy problems that I could pretend to brag about attempting to get your pity. That would be extremely crude and childish. But, I'm sure the moment you as a person grow a spine you can see the world a little higher.

I stood up collecting my balance and grabbed the last of my belongings.

Looking at my stance in the mirror, I looked pretty good. If you didn't know me, and were merely starring at an unknown face; you could have assumed I was strong, confident, and travelled a lot. The stickers on my black suitcase had the tattered reminiscent images from Spain, Turkey, Indonesia, United States, Brazil, and Russia. Now half of the stickers were bought at the travel store on the other end of town; the one that my mother claimed she worked at. I honestly knew she spent most of her time gambling my father's money. But those images made me hopeful for future trips to come. If I was fortunate enough to pay with my own hard earned and well deserved money.

My long brown hair stood high upon my head completed with my Hip-hop pants, my favorite Jay-Z shirt to cover my short frame. This accompanied with my leftover makeup applied carelessly from the day before.

Although I appeared ready on the outside, on the inside I swallowed in fear. I wasn't about to turn back now though, this opportunity was too great to let it go to waste.

"One way ticket to Stockholm Sweden please." I ordered my exchange papers getting ready to pull out my passport and other important pieces of identification, but the man behind the desk quickly printed out a ticket and placed it in my hand.

This moment for me much reminded me of the scene in The Polar Express when the little boy boarded the train for the first time. It was such a magical moment. I found myself understanding that character more and more as the morning persisted. The Polar Express was personally my favorite show as a kid. I certainly felt the same way, full of excitement, anticipation and independence.

Well that was easy enough. I thought to myself. I walked onto the back of the plane where my designated seat was located.

Although I kept calm at home, I was secretly so thrilled to move to Sweden, My family I left back in London didn't quite understand what my obsession was with Sweden and that was fine. They didn't have to understand, No one ever did understand me. Honestly they weren't that important anymore. I was about to live in another country with a host family I knew nothing about, and that was exciting to me.

I planted myself onto my seat and arranged my belongings to have the most enjoyable flight possible. Small carry-on on the floor, nestled to the side, fan on just enough so the stray hairs from my ponytail could dance along my forehead, and my jacket placed between my arm and the wall.

I was lucky enough to have a window seat and the whole row to myself. I didn't hesitate to lay back and listen to the people recite the safety measures of the aircraft. Soon enough the engines were roaring and gravity pushed me back as I was lifted into the sky.

I was about to put in my headphones when a girl quickly sat down beside me. She had long dark brown hair. An angry look presented on her face so I wasn't about to question her. She angrily pulled up her cellphone and attempted to make a call.

Didn't this woman have a clue? Silly Swede. I thought to myself. It took a lot in me not to giggle at her actions.

"Emm, you know there is no cell reception up here right?" I had never been on a plane before but even I knew that.

"Dumma telefoner .... fick kontakt med sin chef .... The Fooo väntar på mig ..... fylla I formulär" she replied

Back to me along with other words I couldn't quite understand. She rolled her eyes down and threw her useless phone to the table. "You would think technology would be more useful this day and age!" She leaned down placing her hands up to shield her face, massaging the temples of her head. Her accent was quite strong.

My Swedish tongue was not pleasant at this point because I was still learning the language but I could basically understand from her facial expressions that she was stressing out and she spoke of being extremely late for a meeting... And The Foe?...The Throw? Fooo? I don't know something along those lines.

She looked down and placed her head in her hands and sat there for minute before looking up and taking a deep breath to talk to me.

"Sorry for my temper tantrum." She started; it became difficult to understand her through her accent so I would stare at her for a moment until I could decipher her speech.

I decided that she was probably busy and traveling home to her family. So I had cut her some slack.

"It's alright." I answered back, "Don't worry about it." A slight tinge of attitude in my voice, it wasn't intentional though, it just came out that way.

"So what brings you to Sweden?" She questioned kindly, her attitude had completely changed from how it was a few seconds ago. "I'm guessing since you don't speak Swedish you are visiting?"

Even though she was kind, she was beginning to remind me of my mother. "Ja...I am moving to Stockholm to spend a year here for school."

"Wow how nice! Do you know where you are staying?"

She didn't sound very welcoming before, I began questioning how much information about myself I should tell her."Emm kind of, I know I am staying with a host family, a couple."

"That's not very specific hah." She looked down to the zipper on her sweater. A cheeky grin crossed her face.

"You know, when I was younger I also was an exchange student? I went to school in London and I tried so hard to fit in. It didn't last very long though. My original plan was to move there so I could eventually move to New York, but I don't know. I just can't leave Sweden it's my home." She smiled at me; we finally broke the ice with each other because we had something in common.

I began to smile myself because I understood her love for the country. "My name is Alisha Crüe."

"Katia Mosally." We shook hands.

Katia was quite the girl, a lot of attitude she had stowed under her belt, but she seemed pretty interesting. I defiantly go the Sherlock and Watson vibe faintly emitting from the two of us. Had to admit though, I happy finally be on her good side.

The flight was about 2 hours long from start to finish and before we knew it we were began chatting away; ascending into the land of the midnight sun.