43: Holding Power

The drive back to Santa Monica could have not been more clear. Surviving the nasty storm that crossed our path yesterday was worth the hassle because of the beautiful warm weather that came after.

The sun had shawn through our front windows baking our skin with the fresh air streaming in from the windows to counter act it. I had bought new sunglasses during my stay in Hollywood and I was inclined to show them off.

Oscar pushed some buttons besides the steering wheel to open a sun roof and blast some rap tune I couldn't recognized. He loved it however singing every single word. The highways were clear, and adrenaline was pumping as we sped along ever back roads to Santa Monica.

"I can't believe the energy in this place!" He laughed revving the engine. His face was so inclined I couldn't have said anything at this point to upset him.

"Remember you have a child in the back seat?" I cautioned him.

Respectfully he slowed himself down luckily passing a police car.

Sirens wailed in the back window but thankfully passed us without hesitation.

"Holy crow!"

"I know!" I told him. "You should listen to your fiancee more, she knows a thing or two."

He laughed at my boldness.

With all the speeding we reached Santa Monica in no time.

"I got a text from Katia telling us to meet at Huckleberry Café." Oscar told me. "Do you know where that is?"

"Yea, just turn left here.... and right here..."

We made our way through the little streets until we found the road connecting to a striking ocean view where Huckleberry's perched.

This old cafe looked very Retro-Hipster, when you walked in the concrete floors stuck to the soles of your shoes and you sat in red rusted chairs along large metal tables.

Katia and the boys sat in a corner enjoying an american 'fika'.

"Hello Alisha! Join us." Felix greeted, he opened his arms welcomingly.

"The chai here is deadly I am on my second cup!" Omar smiled.

Oscar and I sat down building ourselves up to join the conversation.

"No! try this drink! I don't even know what it is but it is amazing!" OG shoved his straw into my mouth forcing me to suck on his brown sludgy drink. "Just don't look at it." He winced waiting for my reaction.

I had to admit the texture was thick and vile but it tasted amazing.

"I want one!" I begged him, he laughed and ordered two for Oscar and I before returning.

The table then became silent as we all had each others attention.

"I have some news" Katia and I said in sync.

"You go first." She offered laughing.

I pulled my left hand out from under the table and set it out for the crew to see.

My ring looked even more striking in the natural light that the building offered.

"No way!" Omar's eyes grew round just as everyone else's.

"Yes! Last night!"

"Well what happened? Tell me the story!" Katia egged on.

I turned to Oscar who was grinning uncontrollably. Even when he bit his smile his muscles wouldn't release his happiness.