21: Altitude

Oscar scrunched up his face and jumped out of the train the last minute before the doors slammed shut.

"What is it with you and jumping trains the last possible minute?" I elbowed him trying to make a joke. He didn't answer me however. He just continued to walk along beside us as we headed into the airport.

The Nörkoping airport was small but very pretty; all the architectural designs were flat and minimalist. If I hadn't known different I would have assumes we walked into an apple store.

"Ok, we have to check in to make sure we have seats." Daff told us and left us and all our bags huddled against the wall.

"Within 24 hours we will be in California, can you believe it?" Felix sang in an excited chime.

"This is the beginning of the rest of our lives."

We all stood in a circle discussing the amazing things that we would all do there, sun tan, party, dance. flash mob, and meet celebrities. Oscar was looking at the sun set out the window that was closest to us.

I could tell he was feeling uneasy so I reached over and took his hand to attempt to comfort him. He accepted with great force, his sweaty fingers were shaking wildly. I could feel the blood pulsing in my hand because of his harsh embrace.

"You have nothing to worry about, I am here." I whispered to him.

He nodded still refusing to look at me. Sweat beads flowed down his face; he was swallowing hard, his already skinny neck made his reactions even more visible.

"Hey bro, are you ok?" Omar asked.

We all turned to observe Oscar and he quickly snapped out of whatever he was going through.

"Yes, I am fine." His smile was slightly more believable this time.

Daff approached us. "OK we need to get your passports stamped and then we are set to go!"

We all walked up to the front desk and held out our passports and the lady behind the desk made her rounds of paperwork until it was Oscar's turn. He refused and pulled away his passport into his bag and collected the last of his things.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as politely as I could.

"I told you I can't do this. I will see you off but I am not coming with you."

I felt my blood boiling in my head.

"Can you explain to me what’s going on? I mean I left school I gave up my family, pretty much everything I have to do this with you... and now you won't even go? Do you wish to speak in private?"

"No." His eyes fluttered open and closed. "Have a safe flight my Love."

He wrapped his arms around me, this time his body was completely cold, the heat flashes he was experiencing were quite abnormal.

He presumed to press his weak lips upon mine and he left out the front door of the airport.

"What did he tell you?" OG questioned me. He was just as worried about Oscar as I was.

"He didn't say anything. He just left."

"Well it is an hour ride to Stockholm, he will be fine but we have a plane to catch." Daff spoke.

We all felt uneasy splitting up like this.

"This is exactly why I didn't want to take this stupid job offer! Look at us!" I protested angrily.

"We don't have a choice now, World Of Dance already paid for our tickets." Daff told me.

"No." I shot him the coldest stare I could make. "There is always a choice!" I fought back with a strong tone; the fury in my emotions was on fire. "That is Oscar not just some tread. And I am sorry if the multimillion company lost a couple thousand dollars. They take that risk asking me to come in the first place."

"Alisha!" Daff grabbed my forearms with enough force to strike my attention and make me feel vulnerable. "Don't worry! Oscar is fine, he will find his way." He took an extra moment to look me in the eyes. Eventually he let go and took my passport out of my hand to get it stamped. We all walked to our gate not sharing another word.

This was the second plane I had ever been on in my life and I still wasn't feeling 100%.

"I want to sit beside you." OG told me he sat me down in my seat.

"First class?" I questioned him.

"I guess, the WOD manager sounded very enthusiastic on the phone."

He sat down next to me and pulled up the arm rest so I could lean on him.

"You know, it will be fine. We all love Oscar, he will figure out what he wants to do."

"And in the meantime?" I asked.

"Well, think about California!

Dance! Celebrities!" He smiled; I knew he felt just as uneasy as I did.

My weak voice was only capable of releasing a dying moan.

We both arranged our bodies together to lounge out in the most comfortable position as possible and fell asleep for the plane to take off into the sky.