Chapter 8 (Edited)

---Kale---

"I don't understand," Casey spoke once more and a collective sigh escaped the room.

"We don't have any money left, that's what he's saying." Alpha Drew snapped in reply.

We were all stood in the office of the Licans listening to our pack treasurer speak to our Alpha.

"How can that be? You are the treasurer, how is it that we're broke?" Casey exclaimed and the treasurer backed away cautiously.

"Well...recently the budget has been increased by almost five times it's usual quantity, with all of the luxuries and parties, galas and cars, I'm afraid we don't have enough money to get us through the winter." She spoke with her head hung in shame.

Drew slammed his fist against the desk and ordered everyone out.

"Kale," He spoke and I turned back to face him.

"Stay, please." He motioned for me to join him.

Casey took a seat on the couch and I sat in the chair adjacent to Drew's.

"We're going to need some help, that much is obvious. I'll need you to reach out to the pack nearest our perimeter and tell them that we need assistance. If they ask-"

I interrupted him in the middle of his sentence.

"Alpha, I don't mean to be disrespectful but the surrounding packs...they live within our territory now. There is no other pack outside of our territory for hundreds of miles, I'm afraid the only packs we can seek assistance from are the Northern packs."

He cursed and stood to face the window sat behind his desk,

"Who is the most likely to grant us assistance?" He asked.

"Well, the Ruber Ventus pack has been growing in both strength and numbers. They recently appointed a new running commander and their perimeter has been secure for years now. I'd say the Alpha would be more than happy to oblige in our request, he has no rightful heirs and he is one of the three Lycans who dare stay in the Northern territories."

The Alpha sighed and walked the room before nodding once,

"Reach out to him, and ask him for perimeter security and funding. There's no need to alarm the rest of the pack." He stood behind Casey's chair and placed his hands on either side of the seat.

"I'm afraid the North is very traditional, Alpha, and there is no point in asking for aid if we will not seek his tactics and his advice. He will refuse our offer if we do not act on our requests." I replied.

He was silent for a minute.

"Fine. See to it that they get here in no less than two weeks." He dismissed me and I nodded before bowing and making my exit from the office.

I walked from the pack house towards my property and paused as I heard Casey approaching,

"Kale! Wait up I need to talk to you," she spoke and I turned to face her.

"Listen um..I heard that Laura is pregnant with another child and I know that you aren't true mates. I guess I was just wondering if you could tell me how she became pregnant? It's just that Drew and I have been trying and it hasn't been working-"

I held up my hand and sighed,

"Laura is not pregnant again, she has enough to do with Owen. She became pregnant as a result of me being in both Lycan and human state, it was an accident. You will never carry the Alpha's children because you are not worthy, and you never will be no matter how hard you try. Give up and move on, the Alpha has enough to worry about without you moaning about children."