Chapter Forty: Doubt It.

Dedicated to pretty1075 for the amazing cover at the top, thank you so much💗

Because I can't focus on studying for my Math and Chemistry test and Happy Early Halloween : ) Really short but i want to update again.

Chapter Forty: "Doubt It."

"IT'S HORRIBLE." I whined, looking at myself in the mirror.

"You need to relax. I can't even see anything." I heard Lucas say on the screen of my phone. I've been complaining for almost an hour, locked in my bathroom and staring at the mirror.

I picked up my phone and made sure he was looking at me looking at myself in the mirror. "It's like bugs bit the side of my head."

"Sydney-" Lucas tried to console me but I wasn't finished.

"It's like I got infected by some disgusting rash." I turned my head a bit, looking at it from the side and cringing.

"Canada-"

"It's like a populated country of disgusting dots are spreading on one side of my face." I shuddered in disgust.

"It's just a couple of pimples. I can't even see anything."

I turned the camera around, making sure he could clearly see me. "You're not bothered because you rarely ever get a pimple."

"That's not true."

"Yes it is." I argued. Lucas couldn't understand it because in my eyes he literally as the epitome of perfection.

"It's not." I could see Lucas shift so that he was now lying down on his bed, holding the phone over his face.

I got out of the hallway, grabbing my earphones from my room before making my way to the living room. "You're being annoying."

"For telling you that you look perfect with or without the traces of puberty?" Lucas asked once I had put my earphones in.

"Yes. I look like a toad." But a smile came to my face at what he said, my heart warming.

"You do not look like a toad."

"Yes I do." I lowered my voice when I headed into the living room, expecting to see my mom but also not expecting to see Liz sitting down on the couch with her and the both of them laughing.

"Um..." I trailed off, giving Liz a weak smile. "Hi Liz."

"My mum is at your house?" I heard Lucas ask but I ignored him.

"Hey Sydney." She stood up and gave me a hug and I returned it shakily, wondering why she was here.

"Who are you talking to?" My mom asked, glancing at my phone.

"Uh, I'm talking to um, Lucas actually. He's helping me out. You know? Exams are really close and I'm still having a hard time understanding some-some things."

That's believable...right?

I could imagine Mary Anne or Octavia scolding me in my head. What happened to overprotective parents raise the best liars huh?

"My Lucas?" Liz asked about her son.

"Your lying skills are getting worse." I heard Lucas chuckle softly through my earphone and I held back an eye roll.

"Yeah." I drawled out hesitantly, licking my lips nervously. "He's getting a really good mark in that class."

"I can only imagine," Liz looked down at the phone in my hand before looking up at me. "Why don't you and Lucas meet up sometime on the weekend or after your dance and his art to study? Besides, I know Phillip is dying to see you again."