Chapter 16, Flashback 9. Confessions [pt. 1]

It had been a week since Codi moved into the village and everything seemed to be going well. He had gotten out of the hospital two days prior to when you and Kakashi brought him there. You had visited him in the hospital and brought him flowers and fruit, feeling responsible for him being there. You were just sitting at your table reading a book when you heard a knock at your door.

"Come in!" you yelled, thinking it was Kakashi.

The door opened and you heard footsteps coming into your living room. You looked up expecting to see your masked best friend, but instead saw another friend, Codi.

"Oh, hey Codi, what are you doing here?" You questioned.

He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Th-there's something I want to ask you," he said nervously.

You were interested.

"Okay, why don't you sit down?" You said calmly.

"Uh, sure," he said restlessly.

He sat down at the table across from you. There were about eight seconds of an awkward silence before you spoke up.

"Soooo, what do you want to ask me?" you said with a chuckle to ease the tension.

Codi smiled.

"Well, I know what I said at the ramen shop was a little bold and straightforward, about me coming here to see you, but actually, I do really like you and I was wondering if you wanted to..." there was a second of silence as he trailed off.

"Go out?" he asked, tensely.

You smiled and felt warm and fuzzy, knowing it would take guts to ask someone out, especially since you hadn't seen them in eleven years.

"Sure! Let's give it a shot," you said with a big grin.

You caught something from the corner of your eye, a grey flash coming from your window. You got up from your seat.

"I'll be right back," you said as you rushed out your door.

You looked around outside and sure enough, you saw Kakashi's back turned, walking away. You rushed up to him and put your hand on his shoulder. He turned around.

"Kakashi! What's up? Were you trying to talk to me?" You asked him.

He smiled and turned around.

"Uh yeah, I was going ask you about-" he was interrupted by somebody talking and putting their arm around your neck.

"Hey man! Wassup?" It was Codi.

Kakashi looked disappointed. He looked at you and smiled.

"Nevermind, it can wait for later," he said as he waved and turned a corner.

"Kakashi wait!" You yelled as you ran around the corner where he had turned.

He was gone.

You were a little saddened, as Kakashi looked disappointed about something.

'Was he upset about Codi?' You thought to yourself.

Then you felt a hand on your shoulder. You turned around.

"I'm sorry if I scared him off, but do you want to go get some Ramen?" He asked.

'Ah, I'll just talk to Kakashi later,' you thought.

"Sure," you said to Codi as you smiled.

He smiled back.

You both went and had some ramen, but something didn't feel right, you were still worried about Kakashi.

'Why did he look so sad? Is something wrong? I hope he's okay,' quietly questioned as you slurped up your ramen.

Sorry this is kinda short but I'm trying to release these in chapters to make them less confusing. thanks for reading and I hope you have a good day :)