Chapter 43.8: The Bad Boys Are Gone (AWOL)

Two weeks in a body cast had its ups and downs. Mostly ups, surprisingly.

One good thing, Dessy explained to me why she didn't visit. She said it was because Alex wouldn't let her. He told her that the site of me would have brought her to tears instantly.

Alex helped me around the house mostly. I had to force him to go to school, since he thought of lots of reasons why it's bad to keep a full-body cast mummy by herself in a house. Even though I told him my parents came home a couple of times before going back to work, he still wouldn't budge. After I made a way to get Alex to school, I was surprised to see my parents checking on me from time to time while he was in school.

Isn't that weird? Being surprised that your parents care for you, but not your best friend?

One day, though, my mother opened my bedroom door and sat by me. She stroked my hair and kissed my forehead. After she kissed my forehead, she whispered, "The worst part about this situation isn't your full body cast."

I raised my eyebrow at her and asked the question I knew I was going to regret later. "What's the worst part then?"

She got up and walked to the door. Before leaving she whispered, "The worst part is that I'm glad you're not dead."

That wasn't the worst part for me, however. The worst part was Naomi and the guys never visited me. I don't know if it was because of guilt or because they know I've kind of betrayed them with Bentley.

It's not like it happened already so it's technically not my fault. Well...maybe a teeny tiny bit is.

For two weeks, I've lived with guilt and stress because I thought they hated me by now. So imagine my surprise two weeks later, on a Monday morning, that my locker was decorated with four cards.They all said 'Get Well Soon!'. But one of them caught my eye, the one that said: 'Guess who's back? Back again?! Gabi's back! Tell a friend. -smiley face-'

It doesn't take an idiot to find out who wrote that.

After a moment, it did take an idiot to figure that out because I was surprised when I found out that Naomi wrote it. I'm not saying she's always serious, but...I would think Jordan wrote that.

"Are you saying I'm not fun?" Naomi asked when I asked her about the card. I quickly shook my head.

"No, of course not. You're funner than fun itself. You're funniful," I reasoned with her.

She raised her eyebrow, but smiled nonetheless. "Even though that's not a word, I'm going to accept it only for today."

I asked the question that was on my mind since I got ready for school. "Why didn't you guys visit me?"

Naomi stopped her movement and looked over at me. She took both of my hands in hers and said, "Don't think we didn't care about you, Gabi. We do. But we thought it was our fault. If Jordan hadn't-"

I chimed in. "None of this was Jordan's fault. It's not yours, his, Bennett's or Declan's. I just...snapped."

Naomi squeezed my hands and let go. "Well, if you ever  snap again, please warn us first. You wouldn't believe Bennett's shocked face when he realized you got hit by a car."

I pretended to gasp and covered my mouth. "Bennett? With a different facial expression? The world has gone mad."

"Well, after we both saw Jordan in a leotard, I'm starting to believe it has gone mad," Naomi replied.

The sound of Naomi and I's laughter silenced the whole hallway for a second.

 After it died down, I chuckled a bit before looking around. I haven't seen the guys since I got out of the cast. I just happen to see Naomi by her locker, giving a pissed off glare at Dominic's retreating  back. As Dominic and I crossed paths, he gave me a faint smile that flashed away in a second.