Chapter 56: My Clarity

Last Chapter

*Naomi's POV*

I stab my pasta repeatedly as I stare at Gabi. She's sitting alone, staring at her food as if it is the saddest thing ever. It's cafeteria food but still.

Two weeks after Alex's death, Gabi hasn't spoken to any of us since.

She lost a part of herself after she found out that Alex was supposed to suffer in order to live or to die in order to be in peace.

But now, as I see her walking down the halls, she looks like she lost everything. One look at her ad you can see that her whole world turned upside down.

And we are to blame.

The guys and I haven't been ourselves lately either. I think the guilt has corrupted our ability to talk to one another without feeling the slightest bit of sadness. We did something wrong.

Even hero make mistakes, Bennett told me.

But this wasn't a mistake. It was murder.

"Guys, I can't keep hiding this from her," I once told Bennett as we walked out of school. "We have to tell her who killed Alex. It's the only way she'll start to move on."

"Naomi, did you ever find out the reason why your bullying started?" Bennett questioned me.

"I told you that I don't want to know," I said.

"But you moved on without knowing, correct?" He replied. I nodded and figured out his point.

Maybe not knowing will help her move on.

But it didn't. I've waited two weeks and she still hasn't moved on. This scenario felt like that short novel The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. I just wanted to shout out who did this and get it all over with.

So I am.

Tonight will be Alex's funeral. Of course, the guys and I are not invited, but I have come up with a plan that only I know of.

I continue to stab my food as I looked at the guys. Bennett was munching on a green apple with a thinking face, Declan was playing a game on his phone, and Jordan was eating their lunches. I sighed and looked down.

I'm sorry, guys, I thought in my head, but she has to know.

School seemed to finish earlier today to me. The guys and I did the regular routine - sitting in awkward silence as Bennett drops me home. I muttered a goodbye to them, while they murmured back and disappeared down the street. I watched their car drive away from my sight before going inside my house.

I waited until ten o'clock, knowing the funeral should be over by then.

They were police at the front door, probably guarding those inside as they set up. I sighed before running into a convenience store. I was prepared for this.

I put my hair in a messy bun and took on a Hello My Name Is sticker from my pocket. I took an empty coffee cups before pouring flaming hot coffee into it.

Ouch, by the way.

I left the coffee by the cashier before running into the bathroom to change into an appropriate work attire. I opened my book bag and took out a pair of black jeans, a white shirt, and a black bowtie. I finished the outfit with black ballet shoes and putting on the sticker on my shirt. I sighed before looking at myself in the mirror.

I was trying to go for the look of an irresponsible teenager but looked like a teenaged waitress.

Oh well. Same difference.