Chapter 43.9: 3 More Mysteries To Go..I Hope

I got a package today. It was from an unknown person.

I was more surprised than worried. In other towns, when people found out about my past, they would leave packages of dead animals and/or put a note stating that my presence killed them. 

What was more surprising is that it was full of newspapers. At first, I thought,  Why did someone send me newspaper? 

But, that thought quickly disappeared once I saw what was written on the them. The newspapers were old, dating back to a few years ago. However, the astonishing thing is the picture.

It was a picture of me with hand cuffs on.

The front cover said: "Little Girl Charged With Murder of Best Friend."

I know this newspaper. I've seen it my whole life. Even though I hated reading, it was the only thing I would make myself read it.

I stare at the picture. I was wearing my pajamas, since Jane's parents called them right after they found their sweet little girl danging from a string like Pinocchio.

My eyes look tired, but were puffy at the same time. I remember I had been crying, ignoring Jane's parents protests of them trying to kick me out. They immediately thought I did it, and that;s when I realized that Jane's parents never trusted me.

Never trusted me. I don't know why; was it because of my skin color? That I was black?

I never asked them and I don't ever want to either. The thought of ever visiting Jane's parents was like dropping a bucket of guilt on my head.

I sighed and tried to stop my hands from shaking. Were they always shaking like this? I guess I was too caught up in my thoughts to notice. I looked at the newspaper one more time before ripping it vigorously into pieces.

The past is the past, Gabi, I thought. It can define you or remake you.

For the past few years, it has defined me and how I acted. 

Not.

Tear

Any-

Tear

More

I looked down at the shredded newspaper that are now in pieces. Good riddance.

I continued to stare at the torn up paper before I hear a notification sound on my phone. I reached over and grabbed it from my nightstand, only to see that the message was from a picture.

From an unknown number.

My heart pounded inside my chest as I press the message and wait for the image to load. When it finally loaded, I gasped at the sight.

It looked as if the picture had been taken from afar. However, that's not what made an unsettling feeling in my stomach. The picture showed Naomi, with her arms crossed and an angry look on her face. She seemed to be looking down at something.

Or someone.

I zoomed in on the picture to find that it was someone. At first, I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, but then take a long look at the person's head from behind.

It was Raymond.

He was kneeling in front of Naomi.

Not as in a marriage proposal kneel, but in a both-knees-to-the-ground kneel.

Another notification sound came from my phone. It was message from the anonymous person. I gulped and opened it. This time it was a video. I pursed my lips and pressed play.