21st Chapter

"Are you not going to school, young lady?" A voice retorted from the phone.
"I'm sick, Wendy. I need a rest." Sooyoung mumbled at the phone, as she hang up. Letting her puffy eyes close. She surely didn't have enough sleep after that night. She spent the whole night, staring and memorizing his features.

She knew that their relationship would end like this. But, she never thought that they'd take each other seriously. And, it was way more regretful to let go. Knowing that both of you wanted to continue what you two had. She still haven't changed her clothes. Since, it would be surely memorable to wore the clothes he lastly grasped into. She sighed deeply, fumbling onto her pockets. She felt a bump on her pockets. Suddenly, she jolted awake to sit down on her bed, opening the small box.

Tears started to dwell down her eyes, once again.

Happy birthday, Joy.
I'll miss you.
And, I love you.
Forever.
-sj

Her phone rang all of a sudden. Currently unaware of the caller, she answered. "My dear, are you fine?" Her eyes soften, upon hearing the voice. "I'm okay, mom." She muttered, trying to maintain a happy voice. "Did you two broke up?", a lump on her throat was suddenly felt. Silence remained on the line. "Sooyoung.", "Yes mom. But, I'm okay.", "Honey, I'm on my way there. Okay?"

On the other side, a certain someone was constantly rolling off his bed. Until the door opened,

"Sungjae, pack up. We're going to the beach, later!" Yeri yelled, smacking his brother, who was currently laying down his bed. "I'm not going." He roughly spoke. "Hey. It's the first time that mom would be here with us. Hur-" her voice was suddenly cut off when she noticed the different vibe around her brother. Probably, because of Sooyoung. "Go with your father. It's your family outing, not mine." Sungjae muttered.
She felt sad. It's been days that both of them didn't have any bickering or arguement. She realized how cruel their mother could be, and how playful fate is.

"Is he going?" Yeri's father asked. Yeri shook her head in response, as she sighed. Her father sighed back in defeat, darting his attention to his wife. "I told you, this would never turn out good."

"How come this is my problem? I know what's good for my son. Don't judge me. Besides, isn't it her mother who dumped you? I'm just avoiding my son to feel that way when that little brat did that." She retorted. "The past is different from the present." He replied, standing in his seat.
"So, I'm the wrong one. Again? What is the reason for you to act that cold to me, do you still love her?" She yelled, causing Yeri to flinch.

"You're being hysterical! We've been apart for almost twenty years, what's your problem!? You've been bringing that up since forever. I'm getting tired of it!" He yelled, causing Yeri's mother to flinch in response. "You're so delusional, I'm sick of-" They all stopped from the arguements, hearing footsteps from above going downstairs.

"Sungjae, dear." His mom spoke in a stuttering voice. Sungjae didn't spoke at all. And the puffy eyes of his are even apparent to the whole family. "I'm going." He replied in a cold tone, going to the bathroom before slamming the door. "He's back to his old self, again." Yeri's dad sighed, glaring at the lady in front if him.
"He's fine, you see?" Their mom spoke.
Mentally, Yeri already slapped her forehead. Why is being inlove so selfish?

She looked at the direction of where her brother is. Suddenly, she scrolled down to her phone looking for someone's name.

"Hello?",

"Sooyoung. Are you free?"

-

"Are you okay?" Yeri asked.
Sooyoung smiled fakely, nodding lightly. But the little bags under her eyes that makes it more puffy, obviously says that she's stressed and not okay. "I'm okay. How were you? Are things going great?" How is Sungjae?
Yeri noticed that she pursed her lips, avoiding certain words from coming out. "We're fine." She mumbled, But my brother is not. "Is there any problem, on why you called me?",

Yeri closed her eyes, placing her hands above Sooyoung's. "My brother is not okay." Her heart suddenly skipped a beat, "Are you really okay?" She closed her eyes, refraining the tears from falling. "I'm fine, Yeri. And, I hope that he'd be fine as me." Yeri knew the lie behind those eyes.

How come fate is so cruel to lovers who just wanted to live a happy life?

"How can you both be fine, when there is still a way?" Sooyoung shook her head, "Your mom hates me, my mom is hated by her family. I can't take things like that, we're not really for each other. I don't want to see him hated for what he is, just because of me." Yeri's eyes soften from her statement. Surely, she really loves her brother. It was something she never heard from his past girls. "Please, hold on." Yeri spoke in half of her heart. "I don't know if this would be good or bad enough. I want to try and help, I just wanted my old brother back." Tears started piling up on Yeri's eyes.

And she continued to talk over and over all about Sungjae's past. "She needs you, eonnie." Her gaze lifted to Yeri. It was the first time she called her as someone older. 

"If I hold on, would he, too?"

Yeri nodded, "He will surely do."

-

"What are you doing?"

Sungjae heard his mother yell from the living room. He rushed down quickly, as his jaw almost dropped upon seeing the view.

Sooyoung with Yeri.

"Sooyoung..." He trailed off, as he saw her kneel down before his mother. "Stop it!" He yelled as he tried to pull her from her position.

His mom noticed the desperation and pity in both of their eyes. Yeri sighed in defeat, "Mom." She tugged on her arm.

Sooyoung's voice stuttered, as she spoke, "Mrs. Yook, please."

She noticed the way her eyes gazed upon hers. As if melting down her features.

"Please, let me be with Sungjae."

She saw the desperation.
The same desperation she had, when she fell in love.

Please.