Chapter Four

"so, what brought you to Atlantic?" Arel inquired as he took a seat by Kagome who blinked at his forwardness at being in such close proximity to her body. She glanced at him a small frown on her face before she answered.

"I hadn't planned to come to Atlantic, I ended up here because of a small mistake. Though I don't think I will complain if it is as interesting as I have heard it is." Kagome turned her eyes away from the merman and to the water that surrounded her.

It was an odd feeling..being so far underwater and being able to breath. The ocean was beautiful, and something she had never seen. Not many humans get to see such beauty this close.

"You got lost then?" Flounder, the fish that had gotten her the seaweed asked, as he swam closer to her. He seemed wary...or he was shy.

Kagome gave him a small smile and laughed, "well...you could say that. I don't tend to have the best sense of direction..." She paused seeing an amused look pass Arel's face when she confessed to her not being the best at directions.

"You get lost easily then?" A smirk came to his lips as he thought of a lost Kagome just wondering around Atlantica. Atlantic was rather large and if you didn't know where you wanted to go could be lost in the city for hours.

Kagome narrowed her eyes, "Yes...I can get lost rather easily. I used to travel with others...but they all settled down or wanted to go off on their own...now I am on my own so I can end up taking detours because of my little...quirk of getting lost...even with directions."

A blush came to her face when she heard laughter around her. Founder and Arel laughed, they never met someone who could get lost so easy and Arel told her this earning a small glare, which he only grinned.

"At least I get to see things most people don't get to see because of my...detours." Kagome muttered as she looked at Arel who had an amused look on his face.

"That is one way to look at it..." He looked her in the eye, grabbing the ends of her hair when she turned her head away from him in a huff, "I promise I won't let you get lost while you are in Atlantica..." He let the ends of her hair go when she saw a blush come to the mermaids cheeks.

"...How do I know you won't get me lost...or leave me for shark bait somewhere?" She snarked back, eyes glowing with humor. She didn't think he would do and with the look of horror that passed the merman's face when she suggested such a thing made a giggle slip past her lips and her 'huffy' attitude broken.

"Now that isn't a nice thing to suggest I do." His blue eyes caught her own blue eyes and a mischievous look crossed them before it was gone, making Kagome waver on her confidence he wouldn't leave her to fend for herself.

"Well...I don't know if you are nice or not...I don't really know you..." She raised her eyebrow at him, "..do I." She knew she had him there.

Arel laughed, he would give her points for being able to be able to talk back to people, she seemed to be able to defend herself if she needed, with words, "I can give you that...I don't know you...but I would like to." He gave her a flirty grin.

He never met someone who treated him like this. It was refreshing. Everyone treated him well...like a prince...which he was. They never wanted to say anything that would offend him. Flounder was an exception, that and his sisters. They would always tell him how things were, no sugarcoating anything.

This mermaid, she was something. He would like to get to know her. All he had to do is convince her to stay in Atlantica for awhile and not travel on to another settlement.

Determination flashed through Arel. He would get her to stay...and he would find a way to get to know her...

"You are rather different..." Arel told Kagome who blushed and looked down. She didn't want to be that different, she wanted to blend in and maybe find a way home.

"I'm sorry?" Kagome muttered as she looked at her tail. She was still not used to seeing a tail instead of legs. She hoped she would be able to swim. How would she explain it, if she couldn't swim by herself.

That would be an embarrassing situation.

Arel tilted his head to the side, as he leaned down so he could look into her eyes as she had her head tucked down so not to make eye contact. When he caught her eyes, he gave her a bright smile, " Don't apologize. It is refreshing. You don't act like the rest of the mermaids. You actually seem like someone who I can have a conversation with...well..besides my sisters that is."

Kagome gave him a small smile as she wondered what her day would be like with this merman. He seemed genuinely nice, but there was something about him that made Kagome wonder how he was.

He seemed to carry himself like Sesshomaru a bit, but not as arrogant. Maybe if she spent some time with him today, she could find out some information on merpeople...but at the same time she wanted to get to know him.

Kagome mentally shook her head at that thought, she didn't need to get to know anyone. She needed to get home. Not make friends.

She was fine on her own.

Too bad Kagome didn't know how determined Arel would be on trying to keep her in his Father's Kingdom.

She would soon learn...very soon.

--- Authors Note--

Arel \a-rel\ The name Arel is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Arel is:Sprite; lion of God. A biblical alternate name for Jerusalem. Name of a prankish spirit in Shakespeare's The Tempest.

SoulUrge Number: 6

People with this name have a deep inner desire for a stable, loving family or community, and a need to work with others and to be appreciated.

Expression Number: 9

People with this name tend to be passionate, compassionate, intuitive, romantic, and to have magnetic personalities. They are usually humanitarian, broadminded and generous, and tend to follow professions where they can serve humanity. Because they are so affectionate and giving, they may be imposed on. They are romantic and easily fall in love, but may be easily hurt and are sometimes quick-tempered.