Chapter 5

I step outta the shower, the thought of Alex's tragic childhood still burning in my mind. Who knew she had been through so much? Definitely not me.

I blow dry my hair, and then braid it into a fishtail braid. I end up putting on holey denim shorts, the type with the pockets peeking out, a flowy, long sleeve, multicolored top with bell sleeves, and sandals. I put on makeup, and grab my stuff, walking downstairs. I find a note from my parents sitting on the counter saying that they left for work early and to lock up when I leave. I grab my house keys and walk out the door, locking the door and walking down the street.

I get to school and go to my locker. I grab my Spanish book and close my locker to the face of Danielle Reed. "Hi," she smiles, tucking her bright blue hair behind her ear.

"Hello," I smile, turning slightly towards her.

"I'm Danielle."

"Cooper," I smile again, shaking her extended hand.

"So you come here often?"

I laugh. "To school? Only every once in a while."

She smiles too. "I'm sorry, I just get really nervous around pretty girls."

I blush. "Thank you, that's sweet."

"You're welcome, it's totally tru-"

"Cooopp!"

I turn. Josh and Emma walk up. "Hi, guys," I smile.

"Ohh, who's this?" Josh smiles.

"Ohh, uhhh, Danielle, Josh, Emma," I say pointing to each of them.

"She's pretty," Josh whispers loud enough for Danielle to hear.

She slightly smirks, slightly smiles. "Thanks, kid. Uhh, so Cooper, would you maybe wanna-"

"Ohh look..Harry Styles!" Josh shouts.

Me being me, I turn and see nothing. What the heck? I look at him as I see his eyes looking at Danielle. Ohhh, he likes her. Alright, nice.

Danielle sighs as Josh smiles. "Danielle, would you like to hang out sometime?"

She rolls her eyes. "Sure..I gues-"

"Yes!" he says, setting a hand on her waist and pulling her away.

I look at Emma. "He just stole my love interest," I say.

"Love interest?"

"She was about to ask me out."

"Since when are you into girls?" she smiles, linking arms with me and walking down the hall.

"..I'm not, it would just be cool to see what she had to say. A girl's never asked me out before."

"Ohh," she smiles. "Just admit it, Coop."

"No, because it's not true," I say as we walk down the hall.

She laughs. "Whate-"

She cut off by the sight of Alex walking into the girls' bathroom, making out with a girl.

The girl, Nikki Samson. She's your typical queen bee. Blonde haired, blue eyed, cheerleader, who every guy wants, and who every girl wants to be.

I just watch them for a little.

"Mm, you're jealous," Emma says.

I look at her. "What?"

"Holy shit, do you like Alex?"

"NO."

She squeals. "I can hear you lie. Whenever you lie, you talk really loudly, and you just did, ohmigosh!"