Chapter 12

I step out of the shower, quickly blow drying my hair, lotioning my body, and doing my regular morning rountine, but with less makeup today. The breakup with Alex really drained me.

..was it a breakup..?

Yes. Yes, it was.

I sigh and walk to my closet. I just grab some holey denim jeans, a dark purple sweatshirt, and black converses, my hair in a ponytail at the top of my head. I grab my bag and walk down the stairs, not spraying on the perfume that is no longer special to me.

She ruined it. She ruined everything. Even that gorgeous picture.

I stop walking right there and walk right back up the stairs, grabbing the perfume off my dresser, and the picture off the wall. I stare down at the perfume.

I'm sorry, babies.

I walk back down the stairs and outside the door without a word. I walk down the street and to the school, going in and grabbing the usual, my Spanish book.

I walk in and quickly set my bag down. I walk out and down the hall, and see Alex standing at her locker.

She stands in denim jeans, a rainbow baja, her hair down, wavy, and the checkered Vans I got her on her feet.

I hate her.

No, you don't.

I walk down to her and stop in front of her as she closes her locker. She turns to me. "Hi," she says quietly.

I hand her the perfume bottle and set the picture, canvas board thing on the floor.

And step right on it.

The canvas tears and rips. I pick it up and rip it some more, abruptly handing it to Alex. "You may wanna take it home and burn it. It should go down just like my Valentine's gift."

I turn to walk away but she grabs my arm. "Cooper, I-"

"-am letting go right now," I finish her sentence in my own words. "Let go of me."

"Ple-"

"Fucking let me go right now, Alex."

She sighs and lets me go as I continue down the hall.

○○○

I sit down at the table, sipping my Dr. Pepper.

"Alex's back today," Josh says.

"I noticed," I nod.

"Have you guys talked?" Harlie asks.

"We talked alright."

"And?"

Anndd then Alex sits down across from me, beside Josh.

"Heyy, guys," she says.

"Heyy, Alex," Emma says. "What happened with you and Cooper?"

She looks down at the table. "..you should ask her."

They all look at me.

"Where's Danielle?" I ask, changing the subject. If I talk about it, I'm sure to cry and I am not doing that, especially not in front of Alex.

"She's sick, now what happened?"

"Did Alex propose?" Emma asks.

"No..no," I sigh.

"Are you moving?" Harlie asks me.

"No," Alex says.

I roll my eyes discreetly.