Chapter 42

"A suite," Alex says. I stand back, waiting for her to finish her shit.

"How many beds?" the girl asks, glancing at me.

"One," Alex sighs, reaching into her pocket.

So much for wanting me to leave.

So much for actually leaving.

Just shut up.

She finishes doing that other shit and then gets the room key. We walk over to the elevator, riding up in silence.

We get to the room and she puts in the key, holding open the door for me. I walk in, trying hard not to meet her gaze.

"Are you mad at me?" she asks as I sit on the edge of the bed.

"No," I say, looking at the ground.

"I didn't mean it. I didn't mean any of it. You don't throw yourself at people, you did the right thing coming back to Berkley, and I definitely can stand you."

"Ok," I say.

"Nooo, no no no no, please don't shut down."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are, please don't be mad at me."

"Ok."

She sighs, running a hand through her disheveled hair. "Why does it always take something with you? Just hear me out."

"I am."

"You're hearing but not listening."

"Sounds familiar," I say, reminding her of all the times I had this same problem with her.

She groans. "I-"

"I'm gonna go take a shower," I say, standing and walking to the bathroom. I close and lock the door behind me.

And then I hear footsteps, the jingle of keys, and the slamming of a door.

○○○

"Thank you," I say, grabbing the bouqet of orange tulips (Alex's favorite flower) and the fucking industrial bag of M&Ms (Alex's favorite candy) from the cashier of the hotel gift shop and walking back up to the room.

It's been ten minutes and I already regret everything I said to her when she was apologizing. I was being over dramatic, and I did shut down. I should've just accepted it when I had the chance. Now I just gotta pray she'll accept my apology.

I use the room key to open the door and go in, setting the flowers on the table. I go into the bathroom and turn on the water, preparing to actually take a shower this time. I strip off my clothing and step into the shower. I wash ny hair, body, and face, abruptly getting out. I wrap a towel around myself, walking into the room.

Alex stands by the tv.

She looks up at me. She has flowers and a heart shaped box of chocolate in her hand.

"I'm sorry," she says.

"So am I," I say, grabbing my shit off the table.

She laughs. "Looks like we both had the same idea."

"Mhmm," I nod, half smiling, handing her the stuff as she hands me mine. "I love you."

She smiles an adorable, genuine looking smile. "I know, and I promise, I'll never forget it."

Looks like your prayers have been answered.

Fuck yeah.

I smile back at her and kiss her cheek. Her hands wrap tight and low around my waist and her lips kiss mine. "We're a pretty shitty couple, you know that?" Alex chuckles as my towel loosens around my body.