Chapter 37

"So Cooper, how have you been, it's been what, three years?" Dana asks.

"Just about," I say. "And I've been alright. Being an almost adult is a lot tougher than I thought it would be."

"How so?" Griffin asks, eating a piece of bacon.

"Just college..and a lotta tough decisions to make, err, tougher decisions to make."

"I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you," Rita says.

"It's fine," I smile. "No one said it was gonna be easy."

Alex squeezes my thigh and I smile at her. Apparently it's noticable, because Dana watches us. "Are you guys together again?" she asks, eating eggs.

Looks like Gram isn't the one meddling this time.

Alex shrugs, drinking some water. I just look down at the table, cutting a piece of my french toast.

"Is that a yes?" Dana asks again.

I shrug this time, nodding slowly. "Yes ma'am."

"Ohh. Congratulations."

"Thanks," Alex says, looking at me with a smile on her face.

"Alex, why do you have a hood on?" Dana asks her.

"Maybe because this place has morphed into a fucking meat locker, it's freezing."

"It feels great in here," Rita says.

"Says the lady who previously lived in Alaska," Alex says with a roll of her eyes.

"Cooper, are you cold?"

I nod slowly. "Just a wee bit."

"More than a wee bit, she's freezing. C'mere," she says, patting her lap.

I glance at all of her family that sits, watching us.

She smiles. "They don't care, c'mere."

I glance at them one more time and then, go and sit in Alex's lap. Her arms lace around my waist, and once again, I feel warm, just like that.

"Thank you," I say.

"My pleasure," she smiles, kissing my neck.

○○○

"Well, what's the weather like in Australia?" I ask, looking through racks of clothes.

Alex shrugs. "Damp."

"Damp?"

"I don't know, like..hot. Isn't it summer all the time there or some shit?" she asks, hands in her pockets.

"No," I say, pulling her hood off her head and running my hands through her hair.

"What'd you do that for?"

"You look so grumpy with the hood on."

"'Cause I am grumpy."

"Well, I don't like it."

"Ohh, let's just stop evverryything then," she says.

"Eww, you bitch."

She smiles and pulls me to her, kissing my lips. I pick up a denim mini skirt. "How would this look on me?" I ask.

"How short would it be?"

"Short," I say.

"Then terrible."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I don't want everyone to see what you have and try and take you from me. That would look fucking heavenly on you, but I don't want other bastards to notice."