New Job

"No way!" Liam says firmly "How can you not love Woody and Buzz lightyear?!"

"I never said I don't like them, I just said they're not the best Disney's creations!" I explains waving my hands in the air.

"Oh c'mon! Animals and Princesses may have been cool when you were like...8!" he goes on, taking a mouthful of popcorns "But now that you're older...Toy story is definitely perfect! I mean...it's incredibly funny, cute, well designed...oh Irene, c'mooon!" he shouts as he sees me shaking my head vigorously.

"No, Liam, I'm sorry to contradict you, but nothing beats Disney's classics like The fox and the hound, Bambi or The lion king! The drawings are beautiful, and the stories are about friendship and love and...They are surely the best!"

"Alice, help me!" Liam turns his head towards my friend, that's sitting in front of her laptot.

"Well...Irene knows I don't like sad stories where parents die or people leave, in fact my favourite Disney movie has always been The sleeping beauty but...if I had to choose between Toy story and The fox and the hound..." she hesitates, and laughs a little noticing that we are hanging on to know her answer. "...sorry Irene, but I'd chose Toy Story." She finally sentences.

"Yes!" Liam exults.

"Ok ok, we'll watch toy story then!" I sigh and stand up from the couch to put the dvd on. "Alice, are you joining us?"

"No, sorry, I'm leaving in a few minutes to meet Louis at his house."

They've become pretty serious by now.

"Ok, so I guess I'll have to stay here and fake happiness while my friend declaims every line of the movie by heart?" I ask, pretending to be sad. Alice laughs and shrugs.

"At least I can stuff myself with...Liam!! You finished the popcorn!" I scream, staring at the empty bowl on his lap.

He lowers his head like a puppy that's just been beaten-up. "Sorry, they were so good!"

How can you not forgive someone with a sweet smile like that. I sit down next to him, shrugging.

The movie begins, and we get comfortable, while Alice says goodbye and leaves. Liam knows all the words of the movie for real, and I hit him on the leg, telling him to shut up.

At a certain point, my phone rings. "Shh, you're disturbing our movie-time!" Liam screams at it, and I burst out laughing, grabbing it and looking at the screen: it's a call from Harry. I stand up and run on the balcony, pressing "answer".

"Hello?"

"Hi Irene, what's up?"

"I'm hanging out with Liam, watching a movie..."

"Toy story?"

"Yeah, exactly!" I laugh.

"Well, I called you because I found out that my boss wants to hire somebody else at the bakery I work at!"

"Oh..."

"So, since you are looking for a job I thought that maybe you could be interested!"

"Wow, that's kind of you!". Harry is so fucking nice!

"Well I work there every day from 9 to 12... if you want, I can pick you up tomorrow morning, so you can meet my boss and I can propose you for the job."

"Ok, sounds perfect! Thank you so much, Harry, I owe it to you!"

"Don't worry" I can hear him smile through the phone.

"So, see you tomorrow!"

"Yes, good night love!"

"Bye Harry!"

I hang up and go back in the living room, where I found Liam asleep on the sofa. I laugh under my breath and tip-toe towards him, trying not to make any noise.

"Leeyum?" I whisper.

"Hum?" he answers with his eyes still closed.

"See? I was right all along! If we had watched The fox and the hunt you would never have got so bored!"

He laughs opening his eyes and looking at me.

"Who was that?"

"Harry" I answer, almost blushing.

"Is there something that I should know?!"

"No, Liam, nothing...well, just..." I recall what happened two days ago during our dinner.

"What?" Curiosity is killing him.

"There was a moment, last night, were I thought that Harry may... like me?" as I say this I realize how stupid that sounds. "But probably it was just... a misunderstanding!"

"And you like him?"

I roll my eyes. "Honestly I don't know, I know him too superficially!"

Liam smiles. "Maybe he could help you getting over Zayn."

I look at the floor and nod.

"Ok, Irene, now I think I should go, I'm really tired!" he adds while getting up.

"Night babe." he gently kisses my cheek and leaves.