Unexpected Good News

"Want some more?" Alice asks, lazily handing me the box of cereals.

"Yes please." I answer, grabbing it, without lifting my head from the magazine I'm browsing.

"Isn't it cool? Being on holiday, together...no work at the bakery, no work at the office!..." I claim, enjoying a mouthful of cereals and milk.

"Yeah...and soon we'll have to start University!" Alice replies.

"Oh c'mon Alice, don't spoil my moment of peace and happiness!" I complain dejected.

"I wasn't trying to make you sad! I'm actually glad that we'll start our lessons...I'm excited!" Alice squeaks.

"Me too, but...let's just enjoy our last days of rest and laziness, ok?"

"Fine!" she giggles, getting up and heading to our bedroom in order to get dressed.

In the last few days, I've spent most of my time with Zayn. We stayed at his house, at my flat, we hang out. And the more I stay with him, the more I like him. Today he's gone out of town, with Louis, Niall and Harry. They're going to buy Liam's present for his birthday (which is today). They've managed to find a original Batman costume, so today they're gonna pick it up at the store, and give it to the birthday boy tonight. Liam organized a party at a club in Leeds, and it is certainly going to be huge.

"So...!" Alice claims, jumping on the sofa and nuzzling next to me. "What are we doing today?"

"I don't know..." I stretch my arms thinking. "How's the weather?"

"Sunny!"

"Let's go to the park then!" I suggest.

She hesitates for a few, rubbing her chin. "Sure, why not?" she says getting up swiftly. "Get dressed, while I clean the dishes, chick!" she orders, heading to the kitchen.

"Yes, sir!" I answer obeying.

I get up and get dressed. Meanwhile, I text Liam; he's with his parents and sisters today, celebrating with the family, considering that he will dedicate the night to party with his friends.

"Happy birthday Payno, hope you're having a great day, see u tonite love u xxx"

I put my phone in my bag and walk out of the bedroom. Alice is already standing by the door, her sunglasses on her head, waiting for me. "Let's go!" she smiles opening the door.

We haven't spent some time together like this for a long time now. We chat and joke loudly, walking down the street towards the park. We turn into kids again, jumping and toddling on the side walk, laughing with no shame and being loud as if nobody could see or hear us.

While we're talking, Alice's phone buzzes and she takes it out of her pocket, smiling as she reads the text.

"Oooooh you and Louis can't spend a minute without each other, do you?" I tease her shaking my head.

She raises her head and vigorously nods as a response.

I laugh. "I've never seen you like this before, Alice!"

"I know. It's because I've never felt this way before. I really love him. Really." she speaks looking at the ground, a huge smile across her face.

"Wow. It's funny how you two bonded immediately."

"Yeah" she giggles. "He told me that he loved the way I laughed hard at his jokes!"

"Well, if he's the kind of guy that appreciates loud laughs, you are perfect for him!" I jokingly claim.

"Ah-ah!" she sticks her tongue out at me. "No, seriously. He's stupid, funny, annoying...but, believe me, he can also be the most sensitive, sweet and deep guy I've ever met. He knows exactly how to make me feel comfortable, to make me smile and to distract me from my bad thoughts. He makes me feel good, always!"

"That's very sweet, Alice. Louis is handsome, nice, funny, clever! I think you are very lucky, and he's very lucky too!"

Alice hesitates, slightly nodding. "Last...last night...he told me he loves me, and he wants to live with me, to share his house with me."

I look at her in astonishment, my eyes and mouth wide opened, not knowing what to say.

"Irene, don't look at me like that, I know it's...it's soon maybe, b-but!.."

"No, Alice!" I interrupt her giggling. "I'm just shocked, but...that's a good thing, really! I think you two are truly made for each other. I just...didn't expected it!"

"I know! Me too!!" she exclaims, covering her face with her hands. "It was...a huge surprise! We were watching a movie, not even a romantic one, and he came out from nowhere saying that "I'm the girl of his dreams" and that he's been dreaming a lot about living together and so on and..."

"...and you're leaving me alone!" I whine, wearing a playfully offended expression.

Alice's face turns sad as she begins to apologize. "Ireneeeeee...don't make me feel bad about it!!"

"Alice, I'm joking!" I reassure her. "I'll be fine. I'll find another roommate, I'll get by, somehow! Even if I'll miss you very much!"

We've finally reached the park, and taken a sit on the grass. I can't even put into words how much I feel lost, thinking of staying without my best friend, but I have to be strong, and be happy for her, for finding Louis.