This Is War

My first day at the bakery went really good. Harry was very nice, he stayed by my side, was patience and explained to me everything I needed to know. I started to know him a little better, he's a great person, behind his cute locks and his wonderful features. There were some moments when I found it hard to hold his gaze; he wore an unreadable expression, and he stared at me way too long, making me wish I was a mind-reader.

Tonight, Alice, Liam, Louis and I are going to the cinema; and we'll probably catch up with Zayn and Perrie. And, surprise surprise, I'm a little nervous about it. But I've decided I'll try to be nice to Perrie: she isn't exactly a friendly person, but I'm probably a little prejudiced because I kind of like her boyfriend, so I want to give her a chance. I don't like the fact that there's always a lot of tension in the air when we're are together.

I'm walking on the street, the weather tonight is quite horrible, the sky is covered in menacing dark clouds, and a high wind is raising. Alice has spent her afternoon with Louis, so I'll meet her there. Honestly, I miss her sometimes, she and Louis are always together, so she hasn't got much time for me, and we don't hang out like we used to. But when I see her, after a date with Louis or getting ready to see him, I realize that I haven't seen her this happy before, so I guess I can sacrifice our time together for this. On the other hand, I have Liam, and this is quite fair.

Reaching my destination, I notice that Liam, Louis and Alice are already waiting for me, outside the cinema; looking carefully, I can also see Zayn and Perrie, standing behind the others guys; Zayn has a cigarette in one of his hands, and his other arm is around Perrie's waist. I hate to admit that they look really cute. I think Liam was wrong: Zayn has to be in love with her! How can someone pretend to be happy so easily? I wish I could believe Liam, but I don't think I can. And among this inner reasoning, the one thought that really resounds in my head while I walk towards my group of friends is: how I wish that was me.

"Hi Irene!" my friends turn around, say hello and wave at me, everyone but Perrie. She locks her eyes on me and her smile changes into a serious expression. Why does she hate me so much?

We enter the cinema, buy the tickets and stop in the hall; Liam rubs his hands and says "What about some popcorn?"

"Sure, and some candies too!" Louis and Alice approve, but when Zayn and Perrie turn around in order to follow them, I grab the girl's arm and stop her. "Perrie, can I talk to you for a second?". I'm already a little embarrassed, and Zayn's puzzled look makes my cheek flush; he goes on leaving me in front of his confused and hostile girlfriend.

"What do you want, Irene?"

"I-I.." I have to fight back the urge to slap her arrogant face. "I just wanted to say that I want to be your friend. I don't know why actually, but I kind of feel like our relationship started badly and I don't want you to think that we can't be friends because..."

"NO!"

She interrupts me, and I stare at her with my mouth and eyes wide open.

"Why...no?"

"I know why you're doing this, Irene. Don't try to be kind to me, because I know what you really want."

I stand motionless, not knowing what to say, for a few seconds.

"ZAYN!" she finally exclaims.

I see out of the corner of my eye that Zayn, Liam, Alice and Louis have heard her scream and are now looking at us.

"What do you mean Perrie?" I whisper softly, trying not to make a scene, even though I'm noticeably nervous.

"You like him Irene, don't deny the obvious!" she claims furiously.

"Is everything ok?" Zayn is approaching us.

"Yeah, honey, we were just chatting!" Perrie smiles while hugging him and kissing his cheek. She glances at me, and carries him away. I stand there alone for a moment, my heart beating fast, looking at the guy I like walking hand in hand with a girl that just shouted at me because...well, because she knows.

"Irene, come with us, the movie is about to begin!" Liam puts his arm around my shoulder. With just one look he understand that there's something wrong.

"Wanna talk?"

"No" I take a deep breath. And in that moment I decided to be strong, and not to let my emotions ruin my night out.

Perrie, this is war.