The Text Message

"What are you doooing, be careful, you're making a right mess of that!" I scream at Harry while he's cutting a slice of a cake.

"I would like to see you doing this, love!" he answers without turning his frown eyes away from his work.

We're alone in the bakery today, because our boss has gone out for some deliveries.

"C'mon Haz, let me do that!" I say while pushing him away with my body and taking the knife from his hands. He stares at me with a cheeky smile, biting his lips and shaking his head.

"You're so bossy!" he whispers quietly, but as I hear him I kick him on the butt, making him giggle in pain.

I'm concentrated on the cake, but my phone in my pocket vibrates. Usually I would ignore it, but there's no one around that can scold me so... I take it out and unlock it. It's a text message. From Zayn.

My heart drops and my eyes open wide, staring shocked at the phone in my hands. Harry notices my strange reaction and leans out to glimpse at the screen.

"Are you still in touch with him?" he asks seriously, raising his eyebrows.

I don't even pay attention to his question: I'm still astonished, wondering if I should read the message or immediately delete it. My heart races and I feel a tight grip in my throat. I press "read".

"Hi Irene, I know u probably don't wanna see me ever again, I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry for what I did, but it's better for u to stay away from me. Love you, Zayn"

However hard I try, I can't prevent the tears from falling. And as they silently dig my cheeks, the pain in my chest becomes so acute that I think I'm going to die.

"Irene..." Harry calls me softly, standing right beside me, without moving. Suddenly his expression becomes serious, almost annoyed; he shakes his head and lifts his head, looking up, as to look for the strength to keep calm.

"I don't fucking understand you" he mutters quietly, grinding his teeth.

"Sorry?" I turn to face him.

"I said, I don't understand you." His piercing gaze locked on me. "Why do you suffer for him? Why do you cry over his texts? He's just..."

"He's just what?" I raise my voice, begging him to go on.

"...a jerk. He behaved like a jerk, he treated you like shit. But all you can think about is him, right?"

I swallow and don't know what to say.

"You are all focused on him while...while...you can't even see who are the ones who truly care about you."

Anger is burning in his eyes while he scans my face waiting for a reaction. He rubs the back of his neck with one of his hands and rolls his eyes.

"I don't want to be mean to you. I just...think you're a great person, and I feel like I'm losing a chance to get to know you better because you've lost your mind for...him."

"Harry..." I wipe away the tears and make an effort to speak calmly. "I'm sorry I...I know you're right, in a certain way." I claim, lowering my head, feeling almost guilty. He grabs my chin with his hand and lifts my face, getting closer and locking his eyes in mine. A sweet smile appears on his lips, together with his charming dimple. Then, he gives me a bear hug, squeezing me with his strong arms and kissing my head.

And this is why life sucks. I've got this beautiful, charming, sweet guy here with me, hugging me, caring about me. But my heart is taken by someone else, and even if I know that this one other person is only going to hurt me, I can't stop loving him. I just can't. I've been crying over Zayn more than I've been doing my all life, probably. But whenever I recall the image of his beautiful big eyes, with that unique color of theirs, with those incredibly long, black eyelashes, I don't only see that, I don't only see his beauty, I see way beyond that, I see a whole world, a whole life, a whole dream that I can't even put into words. It's not just about his perfect features, his voice or his attractive body. But it's not even just about his personality, his mysterious sides, his goofy smiles, his passion for art. What I feel for Zayn is something I've never experienced before. I feel a deep bond between our inner selves. And I know he screwed up and was a jerk. But I can't put him out of my thoughts. And I can't stop wondering about that song I found in his room. He writes song lyrics, according to what Louis said; and those words...could they truly be about...god, just supposing it makes my legs shake. Zayn is so cryptic and full of surprises, and this makes it even harder to get over him. I'm in love with every shade of his personality. I guess it's right to say that nobody is perfect, until we fall in love with them.

~*~*~*~*

Thank you guys for 1.2k reads. I never thought this would get so many reads!!

I'm going to update this story every Thursday. If i dont, it'll on Friday.

There's only 20 chapters left of this story! I'm making lots more. A Taylor Caniff, Nash Grier, Cameron Dallas, Matthew Espinosa, and Jack Gilinksy at this moment, so when I get to a good point in those stories I'll post them!

Okay gtg into my school😭 have fun reading!!

Thanks again.