First Snow of the Month

addie

It feels like negative three degrees outside on this cloudy Tuesday in December.

I was completely in my own world when it came to being in science class mid-afternoon, staring out the window that was towards the abandoned football field. The first drop of snow descended slowly towards the ground; the flake of ice sticking once it hit the mildewed grass.

Instantly, I perked up and my smile grew. I tapped one of my friend on the shoulder, and it was just a train from there.

No one was paying attention to our teacher as he still rambled on while we stared out the windows. The bell for lunch soon rang and everyone piled out of the class. I ran down the halls to find at least one of my friends.

I finally ran into Brooke, excitedly asking her if she had seen the snow. She laughed at my enthusiasm, nodding her head. "Have you never seen snow before?" she giggled.

I shook my head side to side, her jaw slacked in shock. "It never really snowed in Florida, and the past couple of winters here have been dry." I shrugged like it was nothing, going back to my excited phase.

Finally, we found Hayes and he asked me how I was liking the snow. I told both of them it looked like there were giant marshmallows on the ground, to which they laughed at me.

After lunch, we were able to go home before the roads got to slick. Riding back to Hayes' house, I got even more excited about being able to play in the snow.

"Let's make a bet," I start, smirking in the passenger seat. "Whoever makes the best snowman, the loser has to lay in the snow with no jacket for... twenty seconds."

He scoffs, "If you think I'm doing that: girl, bye. We can make a snowman though."

We bundled up into our winter gear, going outside and playing in the snow. It was cold and wet, but gave me a warm feeling of happiness in my body.

After about an hour, our snowman was perfected; it had a cute little hat on top of its wet head. We didn't have any carrots for the nose, so we used a candy cane- it was cute and different.

Hayes posed next to it with Cali snuggled in his neck, her cute little dog coat poking out from under his arm. I snapped the picture, smiling lovingly at my phone screen.

It started getting a little too cold for Cali and I; Hayes offered to heat up some hot chocolate while I grabbed a whole bundle of blankets.

The rest of the evening, we reveled in the fact it had started snowing. It was spent cuddled up on the couch watching movies with the fire place going.

-

School was cancelled for the rest of the week, meaning we went back after New Year since break was a week away.

I did a happy dance in my room while Lydia and Brooke laughed at my crazy antics. "It's a winter miracle!" I scream, giggling after getting a prominent 'shut up' from the next room. Lydia rolled her eyes at her twin, smiling at me sprawled out on the floor.

"I want to go ice skating, but I suck horribly." Brooke pouted. We were trying to see what kind of winter-y things we could do, but were stuck.

"We should go to the outlook on the mountain. I love that place." Lydia suggested. I nodded, already texting the boys, who were hanging out, and Devon to see if they wanted to go.

Nash, Hayes, James, and Devon were all on their way. We piled in Hayes' jeep, the whole group crammed in the back while Hayes and I sat comfortably in the front.