Darkness

2 months later... 

addie

"I JUST TALKED TO HIM A FEW DAYS AGO. THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING. HE TOLD ME I WOULD SEE HIM AGAIN." I screamed.

"Calm down Addie. It'll be okay." my mom cooed, trying to calm me down.

"IT'LL BE OKAY?! NO IT WON'T BE OKAY. HE'S DEAD. HE DIED. RIGHT AFTER I GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH HIM. I KNEW SOMETHING BAD WOULD HAPPEN, I JUST KNEW IT. NOW, I WON'T BE ABLE TO SEE HIM BECAUSE HE'S GONE." Tears were rushing down my face, not able to stop.

"I won't get to hear him call me jelly bean anymore, I won't have him there to make my terrible day better. He's gone." I whispered, crumbling into a ball on the floor.

Right when everything got good, it all comes crumbling down.

"I'm sorry baby girl, so sorry." my mom bent down, rubbing my back.

"Can I be alone please?" I asked.

"Of course."

I cried silently into Hayes' sweatshirt he had left over at my house. I grabbed the picture of me and my dad off of my bedside table. It only made me cry harder. He's gone.

It was a picture of us before he had gone off to his next excursion when I was seven. I was smiling big, the tears evident on my face. He had a smile too, one of the biggest I've seen on him.

"I miss you already daddy." I held the frame close to my heart, crying more.

***

I had been in my room for two hours straight, not wanting to talk to anyone. My legs were curled up to my chest, still crying my eyes out.

"Hey babe, I- WHAT'S WRONG?!" My boyfriend ran up to me, instantly wiping the tears off of my face, which made even more come.

"He's gone Hayes, gone." I bawled, still holding the picture of my dad and I close to me.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." he whispered, pulling me into his embrace, rocking both of us back and forth.

We sat there for awhile, him telling me random stories to get my mind off of the news I was recently told. It was working pretty well.

"Remember when I asked you out? I about crapped my pants." he laughed. "We were standing in the bleachers after my football practice. The entire football team was holding up a sign saying 'Will you be my girlfriend? Pretty please? -Teddy' cause that's my nickname from you because apparently I'm like a teddy bear." he chuckled.

"You said yes and we celebrated with Taco Bell, your favorite. I also forgot to give you this." he pulled out a box with the Tiffany's logo on top.

"Hayes..."

"Just open it." he smiled.

-

hayes

I handed Addie the box, hoping she would like it. She opened it slowly, her jaw dropping once she saw what was inside.

"Oh my god, Hayes! You really shouldn't have." she covered her mouth, a tear running down her cheek.

"Was that a happy or sad tear?" I asked, wiping it away.

"Happy of course." she kissed my cheek. "Help me put it on?"

Clipping the necklace together, it fit perfectly. She admired it in the mirror, her smile huge.

It was a necklace with a Tiffany blue pendant, at least that's what the lady told me at Tiffany's.