Spring Break Dreams

addie 

It was finally spring break. 

After another three months, the grueling hours of school were coming to an end for an entire week. 

Hayes, Brooke, Nash, Lydia, James, Devon, Cameron and I were going to my grandparents' beach house in Florida. It was going to be a week of no parents and lots of sun. 

Everyone was in the apartment parking lot loading up my car and Hayes' Jeep. We all rejoiced when Cameron came back from South Carolina last night. I didn't realize how much I missed him until we started catching up during the early hours of the morning. 

We talked about a multitude of things for hours; everything ranged from school to Kaeleigh. He was happy with their decision and said if it's meant to be, it'll happen again. 

Both him and Kaeleigh knew that they didn't want to have a long distance relationship, so they stayed separated, but they are still the best of friends. She decided to stay in New York to practice for a showcase even though they also had spring break. 

Once we were all packed up, it was time to drive. It was an exciting seven hours of driving. Devon was thankful that he got stuck in our car, seeing as the last time we all hung out, he was stuck in the boys' car. 

"All they talk about are sports and their girlfriends. I can't even relate; I sit on my ass all day and I'm gay!" he exclaims when we first got into the car. We all laugh at his comment, saying we were all happy he's more comfortable around us. 

It was a ride full of food, music, and terrible excuses for singing. We had left at about three o'clock, making us pull up in the driveway at about ten thirty that night. Sadly, I was stuck with most of the driving, so I was beat. 

At first, we were going to go for a night swim in the pool, but quickly decided we were all too tired. We resided to having a movie night in the living room until we all fell asleep. 

James, Lydia, and Devon were all laying on the pallet they made on the floor. Cameron got cozy in my grandpa's recliner while Brooke and Nash took the love seat. Hayes and I were stuck with the narrow couch, but I was perfectly happy being that close to Hayes. His arms were wound tightly around my waist as he lied behind me. 

It was midnight by the time the movie ended. Hayes and I were the only ones remotely awake. I had now situated to facing towards him as we whispered quietly in conversation. Hayes  made a cute little joke that made me laugh louder than I intended, making Cameron shift in the recliner next to us. 

"Would you like to go sit on the porch?" he laughed quietly after I turned back toward him. I nodded my head with a giggle, rolling off the couch and walking towards the door once Hayes was stood all the way up. 

The waves crashed against the serene night. The only spot of light was the moon prominently shining on the tide. There was a slight breeze around us, but it was the perfect temperature outside. 

I sat on the swinging bench, curling up into Hayes' side once he sat down. The sounds of the beach enveloped us in the moment, we didn't say a word for what seemed like centuries. It was when Hayes started digging around in his pocket that I snapped out of the trance I was in. 

"Struggling?" I laugh at my boyfriend who seemed to be having trouble getting whatever it was out of his pocket. He mocked my laughter, finally pulling out a small box. 

I stopped my laughter, wondering what exactly was in the box. He looked at my timid face and reassured that he wasn't proposing. 

"It's a knot ring," he starts, opening up the box, "it represents a knot that's not yet tied, but has full intentions to be. We haven't been strangers to marriage talk, but I just wanted to make it somewhat official and known. It's like a promise ring." 

I smile widely at him, quickly giving him a kiss. Looking at the ring, it was a simple silver band with an untied knot in the middle. It was beautiful. 

"Hayes, I love it. And I love you." I smile up at him, my tired eyes staring into his.

"I love you, too."