Not-So-Merry Christmas

lydia

They were acting like the three of us weren't sitting in front of them with our mouths wide open.

Dad was screaming about some nonsense while Valerie was mumbling about wanting a divorce. It was as if dad was in his own world, yelling at nothing but trying to get his point, whatever point that is, across to her.

Finally, she had had enough of the screaming and threw her ring at dad while he just kept yelling, not even paying attention to the diamond ring on the rug.

Valerie rushed up the stairs while dad was pacing across the living room. Addie immediately went to console her mother while Lillie and I were trying to make our father calm down.

"Stop! Just fucking stop!" I stood up and yelled at my father while he was rambling on about Valerie. "This is all you! You're the one picking a fight and the reason they are probably going to leave! It's always you."

It's been months of me wanting to say that. Of course it has to be on Christmas morning.

"How dare you," he starts, but Lillie stops him.

"No. She's right. It really is all your fault." she sits at the end of the table while I go to sit next to her, grabbing for her hand in the process.

"What in the hell are you all talking about?" he asks as if he doesn't know. "You know that you're the reason mom doesn't talk to any of us. Valerie probably won't either after this."

He tried to start yelling at the two of us, but Valerie came down and told him us girls were going to go somewhere else so he could cool down.

Now, we're stuck in a hotel on Christmas night with an awkward silence among us.

"Are you going to divorce him?" Addie breaks the silence.

Valerie sighs, "I've had the divorce papers for months, but he won't sign them."

My heart broke at the statement. I hate that the two of them always fight, but I love living with my best friend. A house without Addie, and even Valerie, wouldn't be home.

"Are you going to leave us?" Lillie whispers hopelessly.

"Of course not girls. You'll always be welcomed into our home. We won't be too far." Valerie reassures us.

"It won't be the same." I start to cry. Addie walks over to Lillie and I's bed and wraps me in a hug. We are sitting there for a few minutes until another pair of arms wrap around us.

Lillie.

Addie squeezes her into our hug as I cry silently on Addie's shoulder. It feels as if I'm losing her and I don't want that. I don't want our friendship to change.

"It will all work out in the end, Lyd. It always does." Addie whispers into my hair.

I had all the hope in the world.

~

three months later...

addie

The divorce papers have been signed and the newly un-step family is out of our house.

The first few days were different without Lillie's nagging and the constant yelling around the house. It was finally peaceful and mom was happier than ever.

She was singing around the house when she wasn't at work and making casseroles left and right. It was as if the marriage between her and Daniel had never happened. We were back to a party of two.

Hayes was over at the moment playing with Cali while I talked to Lydia about what she was going to wear for her first date with James tonight.

They've started talking more often and he was there for her throughout the entire divorce. He really took her mind off of the move and everything.

Tonight they were finally going on a date and she couldn't be more nervous. I would be over there right now, but both Daniel and Lillie don't want me at their house at the moment so I'm stuck with a phone call.

She started to explain her outfit to me and I knew the exact dress she was talking about. I smiled in satisfaction, saying it was perfect for where they were going. James told Hayes, who told me, where they were having their date. He decided to be cheesy and keep it a secret from Lydia.

He is taking her to the only nice Italian restaurant in town, that's her favorite, and is going to take her to the outlook on the mountain. From there, you can see all of Davidson and the mountain range. It's not much, but it really is beautiful, especially at night.

After getting off the phone with Lydia, I turn towards an impatient Hayes who Cali has now left. I giggle at his slight frown as he juggles with a Rubix Cube I probably got at one dentist appointment many years ago.

"Are you ready to go, gorgeous?" I tease. He looks up pleased and jumps up from the position on the floor. I laugh as he willingly tugs me up, the two of us heading downstairs.

There was a small football party tonight that Hayes had to go to, so he decided to drag me along. I wasn't too excited, but a few of my friends from classes and cheer were going to be there so I decided I wouldn't be too bored.

Hayes held onto my hand tightly, seeming as the last party we went to didn't have a great turnout. I told him that this party was much smaller without alcohol and it was all of his friends, but he insisted on keeping a tight grip on my hand as we greeted everyone.

Once Hayes finally let loose, I was able to talk to some of my friends that were there while he talked some football talk with his teammates. Madison ended up being there with Toby, so I got to happily catch up with her.

It was probably eleven o'clock when we ended up at Brooke and Nash's apartment. We showed up to them lazily slumped on the couch watching a movie in their pajamas. After a few teasing remarks from both Hayes and I, we end up doing the exact same thing.

I made sure to text mom where I was before setting my phone in the guest, more like Hayes and I's, room and walked back out to the living room. Hayes and I cuddled up on the love seat while watching some nonsense on Netflix with the two grandparents.

It was another one of our usual Saturdays.

~

Hi friends!

I need your opinion...

I have a short story about Harry Styles that I'm finished with but apprehensive about publishing.

Thoughts?

QOTD: summer or winter?
AOTD: I'm more of a fall/spring girl, but summer between the two!

xx

🌻