Truth

nash

The apartment was huge. It was like an upgraded one story house, except in an apartment building.

"You have enough money for this?" I breathed out, looking around.

"Mhm. That's why I don't spend as much when we go out." she smiled proudly.

"Makes sense." I nodded in realization.

"This is ours?" Chris asked in shock.

"Yeah buddy. All ours." she threw her arm around his shoulder.

"Wow." he whispered under his breath.

"Yeah." she smiled.

-

"Why don't we tell everyone to come over? Are you okay with that Chris?" Brooke looked over to her little brother.

"I'm fine with it. I like all your friends." he smiled a toothy smile.

"I'll text Ad and see if she feels well enough, if not, it'll just be Cameron." Brooke pulled out her phone.

"What about Hayes?" Chris asked confused.

"He's taking care of Addie." I smirked.

"Ohhh." Chris nodded in realization.

In the end, everyone came over. Addie was feeling better, she just needed a bit of medicine and some sleep. We were all playing Apples to Apples until Addie got a phone call.

"I'll be a second." she said, walking towards the porch. We nodded.

I wonder who it is...

-

addie

As we were playing Apples to Apples, my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I didn't recognize the number until I remembered the area code.

I hopped up immediately, telling the others I would be a second. The sliding glass door opened, allowing me to pass through. Closing the door shut behind me, my finger slid to answer.

"Dad?" I breathed.

"Jelly bean?" he's always called me that.

"Hi daddy." Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. "How's Iraq?" I choked out.

"You know how it is I guess. But I was wondering about you. How've you been doing?" I could hear commotion in the background.

"I've been doing good. I really like North Carolina, but I miss you a lot." I chuckled.

"Keep your head high jelly belly. I'll be seeing you soon." I could hear him sigh.

"Pinky promise swear?"

"Pinky promise swear." There was yelling in the background and what sounded like an explosion. My heart dropped.

"I have to go jelly bean, but I love you, walking to the stars and back."

"I love you more daddy."

"Not possible." I could see him smiling from the other end.

"Yes possible." A tear ran down my cheek.

Then, the line went dead.

After I slid my phone back into my pocket, I sat down and cried. Everything hit me like a ton of bricks.

You may think I may not have a terrible life, but I haven't been through what other people have. I have only walked through my shoes and had my own experiences with life, and sometimes, my life frightens me. Yes, I know that other people have it way worse than me, but that's their life. They go through those terrible things.