Misconceptions + Hell

hayes

Why am I shaking? I open my eyes, seeing that Addie was shoving me, trying to wake me up.

"Hayes." she whispered.

"What?" I sat up on my elbows, rubbing my eyes.

"There's someone downstairs." the fright was evident in her voice. My eyes widened.

"Are you sure it isn't your stepdad?" I was fully awake by now. She nodded, not able to speak.

"Wake up Brooke. I'll get the boys, but be quiet. Okay?"

"Okay."

We scrambled up off the floor, waking up the rest of the gang. They all were groggy and clearly mad that we had woken them up. That's until they found out what was going on.

"You get the shoe while I get the trophy." I said to Cameron.

"What about me?!" Nash whisper-yells.

"Get the lamp." I rolled my eyes at my stupid older brother. Sometimes I wonder how he's older than me.

Us boys grabbed our "weapons", stalking towards the door. Nash was about to open it up, when a hand stopped him. Brooke.

"What do you want us to do?!" she asked, motioning towards herself and Addie.

"If we get hurt, dial 911. But stay somewhere safe, the person might be dangerous." they nodded, following behind us out the door.

Nash, Cameron, and I walked slowly down the stairs, trying not to make any noises.

The girls followed us halfway, until Addie stood all the way up. We tried motioning her to sit back down, but she wouldn't.

"Wait... Mom?" she cocked her head to the side.

A women that looked a lot like Addie turned her head, smiling when she saw her.

"Mom!" Addie ran towards her mother, engulfing her in a hug. The guys and I put our wannabe-weapons down slowly, realizing we had nothing to worry about.

"Oh honey! I missed you. I came home early to surprise you, but I guess you caught me." she looked over to us, surprised. "Are you going to introduce me to your friends?" she shoved Addie a bit, stunned to see us on the stairs.

"Mom, this is Cameron, Hayes, Nash, and Brooke. Guys, this is my mom." her smile was wide, clearly happy her mom was home.

"Nice to meet you Mrs..." Nash trailed off, hoping she would mention her name.

"Brooks. But you can call me Valerie." she smiled warmly.

"I thought you were in Colorado for another week?" Addie asked, turning to her mother.

"The rest of the trip was canceled due to the event's manager having to call out sick." she said, smiling.

"Well, I'm happy you're back mom." she smiled.

"I am too, but you need to get to bed. You all have school tomorrow." she shooed us up the stairs, giving Addie a kiss on the cheek before she descended over to, what I'm guessing is, her bedroom.

"Well there was nothing to worry about after all." Cameron sighed, lying back down on the floor.

"Sorry guys. I just wouldn't think it would be anyone from this household. My mom never gets home early from trips, and if it was Daniel and the devils, they wouldn't give a damn if I were sleeping or not." she rolled her eyes, turning off the lamp.

"At least it wasn't anything bad." Brooke yawned.

"Night guys."

"Night."