Chapter 3: Bruises

Keira woke up with an aching feeling in her back, she tried to turn around to make the pain go away. It didn't help much and she sighed, trying to get up to get something for the pain. Her wrists were also really painful when she tried to get out of bed. When she sat up she saw David still sleeping next to her and slowly the images of last night came back to her. She felt sick and tried to stand up, now she also felt pain in her legs so she quickly sat down again. Trying to close her mind to the images of last night she tried to stand up again, at first it was a bit wobbly, but she managed to get to the bathroom. She quickly closed the door behind her and made sure it was locked. Slowly with her back against the door she sank to the ground, feeling tears well up in her eyes. She forbid herself to waste tears on the subject, she had done it before and it hadn't made her feel any better. Being weak was not something she wanted to portray, although she knew no one could see her here.

Last night had been horrible, they had ended up in a fight again, although she couldn't really remember why. She had been watching TV on the couch and David had came home really late. He had stumbled through the door and that's when she had known he was drunk. Her body had stiffened and she had put one of the cushions of the sofa on her lap, to protect herself. When she now thought about it she had to laugh, a cushion would never protect her, not from David. He had sat down next to her on the sofa and had tried to kiss her, she however had politely declined. He had tried again and she had refused also the second attempt. He had sounded angry when he had asked her what she thought she was doing. She had told him he was too drunk and then he had started screaming at her. He had told her he wasn't drunk and he just wanted to have a good time with his girlfriend and that it was his right to do so. Reluctantly she had accepted his third try, but it had all felt really wrong. After a few seconds she had pulled back and had tried to focus on the television. It was then that he had grabbed her wrists rather violently, she remembered that it had hurt, a lot. He had pushed her down on the sofa and had sat on top of her, while trying to kiss her again. She had pleaded to make him stop and had tried to push him away, but he had been too strong. His kisses had became painful and he had bit her tongue and lips several times so that they had bled.

Keira shivered when she heard a knock on the door and David's voice coming from the other side.

'Keira, are you in here?' his voice sounded soft and friendly.

'Yes,' she answered, 'I'm going to shower before I go to work.'

'OK, no problem. Can you let me know when you're done? I would also like a shower.'

She gave him the confirmation he was after and closed her eyes again. She had been afraid that he would yell at her again, but in the morning everything went back to normal, as always. Her back was hurting against the door, but she didn't make an effort to get into the shower, she was too tired and her body hurt too much. She remembered what came after the bleeding lips last night, he had pinned her down on the sofa when she had tried to escape. He had yelled and slapped her when she had moved. She had been violently turned onto her stomach and her pants had been pulled off shortly after. Without having to guess she had known what was coming and it wasn't going to be pleasant. She had tried to escape again, what had led to a hard smack on her back. Crying out in pain she had felt her underwear being torn of her body without her consent. Before she could have done anything else she had felt him inside her, her tears had intensified when this new source of pain had hit her. It had been extremely painful, but he wouldn't listen to her yells to make him stop. She had tried to close her mind, but the tears had kept coming and her whole body had felt rather numb. When he finally had been done and had let her go, she had gone upstairs to take a shower. Not making it to the shower she had sat down, exactly where she was sitting now. The feelings from last night flowed back and she couldn't hold back the tears any longer.