Chapter 22: Hills

It was another glorious day and Keira felt somewhat annoyed for having to stay inside, she much preferred to be outside and go to the lake. But here she was, serving customers and cleaning tables. It was almost two o'clock, so she still had one hour left before she could go home and it felt like time was going slower than normal. This day had been one of those days you should have called in sick, because everything had gone wrong. She had served the wrong coffee to the wrong customer thrice and she had even dropped an entire cake on the ground, not good at all. Her mind had been elsewhere the whole day and it was showing in her work, to the annoyance of her colleagues.

'You're dreaming again.'

Someone had tapped her on her shoulder and she recognised Elsa's voice. 'I'm sorry!' she said quickly.

'It's not your day, is it?' Elsa grinned and she threw the cloth she had used to dry the clean mugs over her shoulder. Her blonde hair was messy and she used her now free hands to tie it up in a neat ponytail.

She sighed and sat down on one of the stools. 'I guess not, I'm sorry for being such a useless colleague today.'

'We all have our off days, I once accidentally spilled coffee on a customer, so...'

'I know, it can always be worse,' Keira chuckled. Spilling coffee on a customer was something she hadn't done yet and she intended to keep it that way. She didn't even know if Elsa was serious or was just trying to make her feel better.

'Has it something to do with the fact that your guy hasn't been in yet?' Elsa shot Keira a knowing look and winked.

'Of course not!' Keira answered defensively.

'Are you sure?' Elsa smirked and Keira's quick answer told her anything she needed to know.

'How do you even know he hasn't come in yet?' Keira had folded her arms and was eying her colleague suspiciously.

'Oh come on, we all know by now! You are all sunshine and laughs when it's almost eleven and you always take your break then to spend it with him,' Elsa said. 'We're not stupid, you know,' she added trying not to laugh at Keira's upset face.

'We're just friends,' Keira tried to reason with her colleague.

'Yeah and I'm the pope,' Elsa answered with a big grin on her face. She turned her back to Keira to help the customer that had just came in.

Well, they were just friends. Is it so bad to like hanging out with people? It was true she was always looking forward to the moment Seb would come in and they would just sit and talk, but that didn't mean it was because of Seb. Just having someone to talk to and spend time with was something that made her feel normal. Now Abby and Tom were so far away she didn't have the luxury to visit them whenever she wanted. Talking on the phone was nice, but she missed spending time with them. That's why she was thankful to have Sebastian now, he filled in those gaps perfectly and he was actually really funny. He had a lot of stories about his friends and himself and they had no problems of running out of things to talk about, even boring subjects like politics he could make enjoyable to discuss. It was true though that he hadn't came in today and she didn't know why. He hadn't said anything yesterday and she kind of felt let down. She knew she was kidding herself, because he had no obligations whatsoever to come in at all. It's just that she had been looking forward to it and she was curious why he hadn't showed up. Had something happened to him or was he busy doing things elsewhere? She sighed and washed her hands, no it definitely wasn't him who made her so clumsy today. With that thought she went to help Elsa with the waiting customers, but she caught herself eyeing the clock every five minutes.