Chapter 9: Fear

Life in Switzerland had been good to Keira. The people were very friendly and she noticed her German was improving bit by bit. She was now able to follow half of what was said on TV. She also spent a lot of time in the kitchen to learn typical Swiss recipes. Her parents had loved her cooking and she tried to serve up a new dish every night. She felt quite proud that her parents invited over some of their Swiss friends for dinner to show off her newly discovered cooking skills. It was also not possible for human beings to not like cheese, she thought to herself. Keira chuckled, the same was the case with dogs she had found out. One day she had laid the table for breakfast and had gone back into the kitchen to fetch the eggs. When she had came back Molly was looking extremely guilty. It hadn't taken long for her to find out why, because a large block of cheese that a couple of minutes before had been laying on a plate on the table, was now laying next to Molly. There had been chunks missing and there also had been visible bite marks. She had been too shocked and amused to tell Molly off and the dog had been quickly wagging its tail again. Molly was now officially a Swiss dog, she had informed her parents when she had told them the story.

She smiled, right now she was once again standing in the kitchen and Molly was observing her with interest. 'No, you're not getting anything! If I feed you any more dog treats you'll get fat!', she cooed at the dog. Molly didn't seem the understand and wagged her tail while letting her tongue hang out of her mouth.

'I'm serious Mol, all the Labradors get fat in the end and then they aren't able to walk anymore. Is that what you want?' she dropped down on her knees to pat the cute black puppy. Molly rolled on her back as an invite for Keira to rub her tummy.

'You're such a spoilt dog', I'm glad I don't have to train you,' she said to Molly. That was true, her parents would have their hands full with Molly to make her a well trained dog. In the mean time she didn't do anything to help them, she just liked to spoil her, she was so cute. Molly was also one of the only sources of happiness and she would do anything to smile again. 'I'm going to finish making my biscuits, now will you be a good dog and behave?' Molly answered her by licking her face.

Keira pulled a face in disgust and washed her face with water, no Molly definitely wasn't a well behaved dog right now. After cleaning herself she went back to the baking, this time she was making Mailänderli. These were very popular biscuits which Swiss people would eat during Christmas. They were quite basic, but the touch of lemon she had to put in made them heavenly. She only still had to get the hang of glazing, as she always ended up with more glaze on her fingers than on the biscuits.

She was just mixing the butter and the sugar when she heard the familiar sound of her phone. She quickly cleaned her hands and picked up.

'Hey babe, how are you doing?' sounded David's voice.

'I'm baking Swiss biscuits, how are things going for you?' Keira answered. David sounded cheerful so he should be in a good mood.

'Just doing some laundry, nothing special. How are the biscuits?'

'I don't know yet, I only just started,' she smiled.

'How is the dough tasting then?'

'Also not ready,' Keira grinned.

'Damn, you'll have to send me some then when you're finished. Now I don't have any clue,' he laughed.

'I'll make them for you when I'm home again, is that OK?'

'Yeah that'll be fine, babe. Do you have any idea when you'll be back though?' David asked.

'My parents will stay her for another two weeks, so I'll keep them company.'