Chapter 15: Home

The smell of London was very different from the smell Keira had became accustomed to during her stay in Switzerland. The fresh mountain air had been replaced by exhaust gasses and the bustle of the big city was frightening her. The noises filled her head and she swiftly closed her eyes to gather strength to carry on. Her suitcase was heavy and she was glad that she was almost home. After walking the last ten minutes she finally spotted her own front door and let out a sigh, home at last.

She pushed open the door and wondered if David was home. 'Hello?' she yelled.

Footsteps came from the kitchen and David appeared in the hallway. 'You're back!'

She dropped her stuff and he pulled her into a hug, while wrapping his arms around her waist. It was a good feeling, she had missed being hugged like this. She stepped back and gave him a glance-over. He looked happy, his eyes were a soft brown colour and his face was lit up in delight.

'I was making dinner,' he picked up her bags and carried them up the stairs. 'You can help if you want?' he yelled from the bedroom.

'What are you making?' she wasn't yet convinced by his cooking skills and hoped she could prevent food poisoning. She walked into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water.

'Ehm, it includes sausages, Parma ham, Gruyere and of course your beloved puffed pastry. I only can't remember in which order to use it all,' he apologised while walking back into the kitchen.

'I assume everything else has to go into the puffed pastry, so that's a start. Let me figure it out,' she flicked her eyes over the different ingredients and yelped when she felt two arms snake around her waist.

'I've missed you,' David said while putting his nose in her hair, 'you smell good.' He started to give small kisses on her neck and pulled her tighter to his body.

She tried hard not to moan. 'I've missed you too,' she said breathlessly. 'Now let me cook, otherwise we will starve.'

He reluctantly let her go and followed the instructions she gave him. When the oven finally had reached the right temperature they put in their creations and started the waiting game.

'I'm hungry,' he pouted while sitting down at the kitchen table.

She laughed and shook her head. 'Is there a time you're not hungry?'

'Maybe when I sleep,' he grinned. He took a sip of his tea and bit his lip. 'You look good.'

She had been playing with her hair and looked sideways at David when he had said that. 'You do too,' she shot him a half grin while she adjusted herself in her chair.

'I see that Switzerland has done you good, you look very brown,' he eyed her cautiously and let his eyes fall on her hair, 'and your hair looks redder.'

'Does it? Must have been the sun then, the weather was perfect,' she frowned and examined a strand of her hair.

'Lucky you, here we had the normal English summer of course. Best time ever,' he said sarcastically, while peeking into the oven as the room was starting to fill with a delicious smell.

'Ahw, poor you!' she gave him a kiss on his cheek and went to check their dinner. 'OK, they're done, time for food!'

David pumped his fist into the air like he had just won an important game and went to look for plates and cutlery. He was dancing through the kitchen and made Keira stare at him with a smirk on her face. He smiled when he saw her looking and grabbed her hand to join him.

'No, I don't want to-,' she began, but it was no good. She was already swung through the kitchen and almost fell over one of the chairs. Trying to stay upwards she copied his moves and in no time they had a full dance off in the kitchen. Tears of laughter were running over their cheeks and they only sat down again after Keira became too dizzy to continue.