Bliss's Walk

(F/n) had officially worked for a week in the store, and there were a few changes within that time frame. One of those consisted of her having help during her shift. A woman, by the name of Tiona, became her coworker during the afternoon and night shift. This woman had shoulder length brown hair, dyed blue on the tips, and she had hazel eyes. Still, she only worked from four in the afternoon to eight in the evening. The (e/c) eyed female figured that it was due to the slowing hours of the night. There really wasn't a need to have two workers around when the store closed.

Besides this new change, there was also the fact that every night she would see Edgar in the store. He would look over what needed to be restocked in the store and write it all down on another sheet of paper. What was strange about this, though, was the fact that he would take a long time in doing so. Realistically, he should've only taken about twenty minutes max to write down all of the information. Thus, why would he be in the store for over that time period? Perhaps, he was a slow writer or reader, but something seemed odd to (f/n).

She would still give him the benefit of the doubt, however. This was due to the fact that he turned out to be a rather considerate individual. After all, he was presumably the one who recommended a new store clerk to help with the late shift. Likewise, he would help her around the store at times if there were a lot of items to restock on the shelves.

During these times, there was little communication between the two, since Edgar was somewhat of a quiet individual. Regardless, he would sometimes disclose a fact about himself here and there. Frequently, though, he would direct the questions back at her. If anything, he probably knew more about her than she him. All she had learned was the fact that he had no favorite color. Furthermore, he had a preference for sandwiches over other food options with the exceptions of sweets. Apparently, lavender cookies were a favorite of his. Other than that, he would answer "yes" or "no" to other basic questions.

As for the current time, it was the night of the first day of her second week of working. Edgar was in the store going over the list of toys that had been purchased for the day. Concerning (f/n), she was restocking the lollipop stand. Personally, she loved refilling the sweet treats. They were quite colorful, and she had a fun time deciding which ones to put in the stand. It was tempting, though, to purchase one for herself. In particular the blueberry-crème one sounded rather delectable.

"You should buy it," sounded the familiar voice of Edgar.

Peering over at the male, she noticed him still looking at the list of items sold. "It's fine. I don't need it. Besides, a little kid may enjoy it more than me."

"There are others in the box," replied Edgar, still not lifting his gaze from the list.

"Are you just trying to make more profit for the store? On past days you have tried to get me to buy something as well," she pointed out before she picked up the box of lollipops for restocking.

"Perhaps," he teased with a smirk growing on his lips.

Merely sighing at his response, she went into the backroom and placed the box back down in its original place. Next, she walked back onto the main floor and scanned the store for anything else that needed to be restocked. Once she noticed that her job was complete, she sighed in relief. It wasn't that she hated stocking the toys, but she was exhausted from a day's work, and relaxation sounded appealing. With this in consideration, she headed into the backroom again to grab her purse and thermos. Thus, with those two items in hand, she went to leave the store for the night.

Before she left, however, she heard Edgar call for her to wait. Confused by this, she turned around and raised an eyebrow questioningly. By now he no longer had the list in his hands, and his notepad and pencil were probably in one of his grey coat's pockets.

"Let me walk you home," he stated, as he went around the counter.

Now this was definitely new. Crossing her arms over her chest, she responded, "Why? You've never offered before, so why the sudden change?"

"Hmm, just wishing to be courteous," was all he answered, as he went over to the door and held it open for her.

Figuring that he wouldn't take "no" for an answer, she went along with it and exited the store, as he locked it behind the two of them. She didn't indicate which direction her apartment was in; rather she just started to walk towards it. Edgar caught up to her in no time, while he inwardly chuckled at her behavior. He decided that it was time to pursue his newfound interest. Moreover, they had known each other for a week, so he presumed that was enough time.

Likewise, he would get to learn her address or at least pretend like it was new information, since he already knew where she lived. It was a requirement in her application for the store after all. The funny thing, though, was that he walked by her apartment complex every night, since he met her. Truly, it was amazing how she hadn't noticed. Personally, he wanted her to notice a shadowy figure walking by her home, for it would make things more entertaining. In reality, however, he could take her into his arms anytime he wanted.

It was rather strange to him, though. He wasn't expecting to grow such an obsession for her in such a short time or at all. After he saw her care for the toys, however, it was like a switch went off in him. His emerald green eyes feasted upon her image, and his mind played various scenarios of how she would run into his arms. Those imaginary scenarios were quite the beauties to behold.

"Edgar, are you coming or did you change your mind?"

Breaking out of his thoughts, he realized that there was some distance between the two of them. He corrected this and stood by her side once more. After he signaled for her to go on, she gave him a questioning gaze before she looked away from him. How he wanted to stare at her eyes for an eternity. They were like sparkling dew drops on a small sapling in the middle of nowhere. Countless quantities of sand could surround the small beads of water atop the sapling, yet those grains would only make the water more mesmerizing and precious.

He wondered what she thought of his eyes. Could she secretly stare into them for hours on end, ensnared by his gaze? Would she be able to understand how much he needed her just by peering into his emerald orbs? If she could, he would be in rapture's embrace; he would be in a perfect fantasy. No, he wouldn't let it be a fantasy; he would make a reality.

Focusing away from his thoughts, he stepped in pace with (f/n). Even their steps sounded perfect together. He placed his hands in his coat's outer pockets and enjoyed the silence between the two of them. As for (f/n), she didn't know what to make of the situation. She was used to Edgar's quietness, but she felt multiple chills run up her spine. Maybe it was just the cold autumn weather. Then again, she couldn't shrug away the feeling that it was more than that. Why did it seem as though she was being examined like a prized jewel?

Thus, she looked over at the male, who was on her left side. His gaze was off of her. Perhaps, she was just being slightly paranoid. Sighing at this, she thought maybe it would help if she broke the silence. "Where do you live Edgar?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"I figured that since you'll know my location, it would only be fair for me to know yours. Besides, I don't want you walking out of your way for me," she voiced, which was true, since she would feel bad if she dragged him in the opposite direction of his home. Granted, he was the one who offered to walk her home, but still she felt it necessary to show some consideration.

"If that's the case, I suppose I can tell you. I live out of town."

Despite his vague answer, out of town was still far. It was at least a thirty minute drive in any direction, and the walking distance would be much longer. Slightly shocked by this, she questioned, "And you still walk to work every evening?"

"I suppose I do."

What was that supposed to mean? There was uncertainty in his answer, which was suspicious. Something was amiss in his response, yet she doubted he would tell her what. She would've reconsidered having him walk her home, but it was too late; they had arrived at their destination. A light breeze flowed through the night air, blowing a couple of crisp fall leaves across their field of vision. One of them danced around another, keeping them locked in an endless ballad, until they fell onto the sidewalk with one on top of the other.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Edgar," she uttered before going towards her apartment after waving goodbye to him.

The male gave her a short nod, while whispering inaudibly, "I'll see you before then."