The Book's Secret

"Tell me, (f/n), why do you think that I bought you all those clothes and shoes today?" Edgar asked, resting his chin in the palm of his left hand, while his elbow was placed on the counter top.

"You already told me. You wanted me to wear clothes that didn't hinder my natural looks or some weird reason like that," she responded, wondering what he was getting at.

"That's correct, but there's another reason. Do you have any idea what that is?"

"So, going shopping today has something to do with the book title? Just what relation could shopping have with the book that you were reading? Were you reading a book on fashion or something? Is that why you didn't want to show me the book because you're embarrassed to admit that you like clothes shopping? I mean I kind of figured that already out, especially since you were enthusiastically picking out dresses and shoes for me."

"No, that's not the answer. What's one of the toys in my store that I spend the most time on? This should be an easy question," he replied, taking another sip of his beverage.

(F/n) went over all the toys that Edgar made. While she was thinking, the waiter brought out the food before returning to the kitchen after they thanked him. Grabbing a waffle fry with her right hand, she tapped it against her lips, since she was still pondering on the matter. She did know that it was an easy answer, so why was it escaping her mind all of a sudden? Perhaps, she was just over thinking it.

There were only a few toys that had clothes on them, but how did that connect to the book? Granted, it would've made sense if Edgar was reading a book about toys. He could gather inspiration from such a text. So, did he go shopping today to gather inspiration? How could he do that, though, if she was just trying on dresses?

She stopped tapping the fry, as the simple answer finally made itself clear. "Was the book about dolls?"

A smirk graced his lips, as a mischievous gleam crossed his right eye. "Hmm, I wonder if that's correct. Why would I have you try on clothes if I was reading a book about dolls? How do those things connect, (f/n)?" he questioned before eating one of his breaded zucchini fries.

Examining his facial expression for a few seconds, she realized what he was implying. "You're using me as your inspiration for your next doll?" she asked, baffled by such a possible conclusion.

His smirk widened, as he picked up another fry. He took a bite out of the food item, and (f/n) waited to see if that assumption was correct. Based off of his current behavior, it probably was. Still, she wanted him to confirm it. So, as she waited, the crunch made when he bit into the fry sounded louder. The clock, ticking in the background, mimicked the sound of a gong. Every movement seemed to go slower and sound louder. Why did he have to always leave her in such suspense?

Finishing the fry, Edgar responded in a somewhat quiet voice, "Why, that is correct, (f/n). It's not just any doll, though. You're going to be my muse for the yearly winter holiday doll. You've known about my company, since you were a child. So, you should understand how important that doll is to the company. Only the highest quality materials go into making it, and it takes the whole month of November, except for today, and half of the month of December to finish it. All other toys, for that span of time, are made by my workers, since it requires all of my concentration. This makes sense, since it does stand over five feet tall.