The Dinner's Satisfaction

The car ride to the restaurant was comfortable if one was referring to the seats. As for the company, it was awkward and silent. (F/N) found herself pressed up against the other door, trying to create as much distance as she could from Edgar. Likewise, it allowed her to better see where they were going. Her chin rested in the palm of her left hand, while her left elbow rested on the window seal. Already, they had long passed her apartment complex and were heading farther towards the outskirts of town.

Well, at least she now knew Edgar's means of transportation. She did find it odd that he would walk home from the store if he lived outside of town. Still, that meant that he had lied to her when he had walked her home that evening. Moreover, couldn't he have just driven her home if he had a ride? Why did he want to hide this car? There was the fact that the price tag of this car and his job's salary didn't add up. Granted, she didn't know his pay, but she figured it wouldn't be too much higher than hers. Maybe it was, though.

When they had left the town's limits and were in the countryside, (f/n) was really beginning to wonder where this place was. She didn't know of any restaurants outside of the town. Well, she hadn't heard of any at least. Thus, she was about to ask Edgar on this, but when the driver took a turn, she became even more confused. They had pulled onto private property and had just entered through wrought iron gates, which were probably about ten feet tall. Where were they?

Things became more puzzling when the driver took a right on the gravel driveway and pulled up next to the outer walls of a room. Likewise, this room was connected to a giant mansion. This couldn't be his house, could it? Was Edgar just pulling some sort of joke on her? Regardless of her bewilderment, Edgar stepped out of the car and held the door open for her. Sending him a skeptical look, she exited the car and examined the exterior of the room in front of her. The walls were made of light and dark grey stones, while black paned windows complimented them. She couldn't see through the windows due to the fuchsia curtains on the inside.

Facing Edgar, though, she questioned, "Edgar, why are we at someone's house? Don't tell me this is your place?"

"Hmm, well the fact that I know the owner of the toy store personally does help. He won't mind me using his dining room for tonight. So how about we go inside, rather than just standing out in the cold?"

"You're hiding something from me, like always," she answered blatantly.

"We all have our secrets, (f/n)."

(F/n) only answered with some mumbling, and Edgar figured she was cursing him at the moment. Thus, since he was only amused by her frustration, he closed the car door and led her over to the French doors, which led into the dining room. As they went over towards them, the chauffeur drove off.

Upon opening the paned glass doors, Edgar revealed a room, which was filled with vibrant colors. Red and blue crystal wall fixtures decorated the walls, which were painted with multiple colors. Stripes of fuchsia, grey-blue and red covered the walls, while chiffon fabric, in those colors, hung from the ceiling in a wave-like pattern. A chandelier, bearing those hues as well, hung in the center of the room. Below it rested a black wooden table, which had a mirror surface for its top. Roses, in identical colors, filled crystal vases and added a sweet scent to the space. To finish the space, black wooden chairs, upholstered in the various hues, complimented the entire area.

With her mouth hanging open a little, (f/n) stepped further into the room and stood in awe. The room was beyond spectacular, and she was so caught up in the view that she didn't notice Edgar close the doors and step up behind her. He smiled at her clear appreciation of the room before he rested his hands on her shoulders. She jumped a little at this, but that made him only enjoy the contact more.

"I'm glad you like it, but please take a seat. I doubt you want to eat standing," he said softly near her right ear before he stepped away from her and went to the other side of the table.

Sitting down in the chair, upholstered in red fabric, he watched her take a seat across from him. Despite her initial awe, though, he could tell that she was uncomfortable with eating in a stranger's house. Still, Edgar could think of no other place that served better food, for the chefs here were superb. With regards to (f/n), she twiddled her thumbs and couldn't help but glance at the black wooden door, which probably led to the rest of the house. She didn't know the owner of The Tinkerer's Treasure personally, so what if he came in and threw her out? It would be embarrassing, and she might get fired from her dream job.

"I assure you, (f/n), we'll be fine."

"You might be, but I don't know the owner. I've only seen him on television a few times. I might not be welcomed here. Perhaps, I should've stayed home," she started before beginning to mumble towards the end of her statement.

"You're my guest, so you're welcome. Now, stop worrying and enjoy yourself."

"Tch, you're not the best of company. I just came for the free food," she muttered, but Edgar still heard her.

"Is that so? You know, I told you I wanted to apologize. Upsetting you so much wasn't my intention, but you're fun to tease. Besides, you know you like my attention. I could see you casting glances my way during work. You're just too proud to admit it," he responded, picking up one of the silver forks and twirling it between his right index finger and thumb.

A faint blush tinted her cheeks before she looked down at her hands. Under her breath, she whispered a faint, "shut up." Still, he did speak the truth; she did enjoy his attention and company. He was just so infuriating at times. Why did he always feel it necessary to avoid giving her a definite answer? Granted, he did say that he liked teasing her, but a person could only tolerate so much teasing. Peering back up at him, she realized that he was still staring at her. His piercing and charming gaze made her cheeks a darker tint. As she attempted to regain her composure, she coughed slightly and added, "So, how are the cooks supposed to know of our presence?"

"Simple, you need to ring that small silver bell in the center of the table, and they'll come."

Deciding that she might as well, she picked it up and rang the bell. Nothing happened for the first few minutes, but after that time a man entered the dining room. He stood at about a height of five feet and eight inches, and he had black hair, which was gelled back. Brown eyes peered over at her questioningly before they looked back at Edgar. Moreover, the man wore a white button-up, a black vest, black pants and black dress shoes. Edgar proceeded to signal him over, and when he reached the green-eyed male, he bowed a little. This allowed Edgar to whisper something into his right ear. After Edgar finished talking to him, the man left the room, as the door closed behind him.

"Are you sure you're only a stock reporter?" (f/n) inquired, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back into the chair.

"Quite sure, like I said before, I just know the owner quite well."

"Are you two best friends or something?"

"I wonder."

"I should've expected an answer like that from you. Well, how about you tell me how long you've known him for."

"I suppose that's reasonable. I've known him for basically my whole life. We're very close. Why are you interested in meeting him? He's quite the character," he voiced, as a smirk graced his lips, though, this looked was replaced by a saddened one. "Would you prefer his company over mine?" Of course, this was Edgar's typical move of faking an emotion. (F/n), like usual, didn't know that.

Thus, she took his countenance to be genuine. With this in mind, she quickly replied, "What, of course not! I was just curious. I didn't mean to imply such a thing. I like ...." She stopped herself, realizing her mistake, as her cheeks flushed with color.

"You like what, (f/n)?" Edgar asked, a smirk taking over his lips once more, while amusement laced his visible emerald green eye.

Not being able to form a coherent sentence, she kept her (e/c) gaze on him until she registered what he was doing. Puffing her cheeks out, she frowned and grabbed one of the nearby fuchsia cloth napkins. Without any hesitation she threw the napkin at him and ended up directly hitting him in the face. "You a**hole."

Taking the napkin, which was now on his lap, he set it on the table and responded, "Really? Would such an individual invite you out to a wonderful dinner and provide you with riveting company?"

"You're right. You're an arrogant a**hole," she answered, shaking her head in disapproval, however, there was a small smile on her lips. Likewise, her smile didn't go unnoticed by Edgar, for a certain gleam overtook his eyes. (F/n) had unknowingly caused the male's heart to skip a beat and had unsuspectingly triggered his fondness for her to grow.