Candy's Delight

"You ... you're," (f/n) stuttered out, quite uncomfortable and unable to finish her sentence due to the distance between them. Likewise, the heat rising to her cheeks was rather evident, and she was sure that they were a bright tomato red. Before she could make another move, though, he stood straight back up and took the lollipop from her hand. She wondered what he was up to, as he took the candy wrapper off.

Lacking hesitation, he shoved the wrapper into his right jacket pocket and held the sweet out to her. When she noticed that he wasn't going to lower his right arm anytime soon, she took the lollipop from him and saw him indicating for her to eat it. After she sent a glare his way, she stuck the treat into her mouth and did her best not to smile at its delicious taste. Sadly, the slight upturned twitches, in the corners of her lips, didn't go unnoticed by Edgar.

"I take it that you like the taste."

She pursed her lips, with the sweet still in her mouth, and muttered, "Yeah, it's good."

Apparently, though, he wasn't done teasing her. As she went to exit the shop, she felt the lollipop removed from her mouth. To this, she peered over her left shoulder to see that Edgar had placed the treat into his mouth. Her brief movement stopped, and her mouth hung open a little bit. Did he really just do that? His expression remained neutral, as he sucked on the sweet, before pulling it out of his mouth.

"Hmm, this flavor is rather good. Regardless, shall we take you home?"

Closing her mouth back up, she just stared at the brown-haired male. Her lips moved as if she wanted to say something, but nothing came out. Only shock decorated her countenance, as her (e/c) eyes focused in on the lollipop in his hand. He had just consumed her saliva along with part of the candy. What was wrong with him? Wasn't he concerned about catching a cold from her? Well, she wasn't sick, but still he should've been more cautious. Wait a moment; shouldn't she be more concerned with this man's behavior rather than his health being at potential risk? Her mind was clearly betraying how she wanted to act. She wanted to call him a jerk, yet here she was thinking that he could get sick.

Still, she managed to gather herself somewhat and respond, "No, you're not taking me home. At least not until you answer my question. Now, what do you want?"

"Like I said before, you need to be more specific."

Was he really going to make her ask that question? She didn't want to word it that way, but he was giving her very little choice. Furthermore, she wanted to know, so she could get a better grasp of her emotions towards him. Sighing, she crossed her arms over her chest and tried to keep the redness in her cheeks to a minimum. "Fine, you win. Now, do you like me or not?"

"Of course, I do (f/n)."

Upon this answer hitting her ears, she felt her breath get caught in her throat. Likewise, her heartbeat picked up and her face flushed back to a tomato red. He had no hesitation in his answer, and he maintained a calm countenance, while he placed the lollipop back in his mouth. Some part of her hadn't expected that answer, but there it was in all its glory. She practically felt like jumping into the air and cheering in utter joy, yet she halted herself from committing such an action.

Edgar, though, found her reaction entertaining. In fact most of her reactions were. He doubted the possibility of her not being able to amuse him. She had even admitted to him winning, however, he had been the winner all along; she couldn't win in this game that he started. With that in mind, he wouldn't give her ease of mind. It was just too much fun to toy with her.

Walking around her and towards the door, he added, "Of course, I could mean that I like you just as a coworker, friend or something more than it. It could even be between one of those stages. Since you never asked me if I liked you as a coworker, friend, etc, I guess you won't know for the moment. Now, let's get you home. I did answer your question after all, (f/n)."

Well, if she had felt elated before, she now felt crushed. Granted, he could like her as more than a friend, but he didn't clarify. She could forever be in the friend zone. Thus, for the time being, she could only let out a loud growl of frustration before she stormed out of the store. (F/n) didn't turn around to see if Edgar was behind her or not; she did hear the lock on the store door clicking, though. Moreover, she could hear his footsteps behind her.

Regardless, she refused to say anything more to him that evening. He had played with her feelings too much, yet she still couldn't rid herself of her emotions. It was utterly humiliating. Why couldn't he just tell her? Perhaps, he really didn't like her in that way. She just wanted to scream in vexation and let some tears spill out of her eyes, while eating a box of ice cream bars.

Much to her relief, though, her fast paced walking had allowed her to reach her apartment sooner. She still didn't look back at Edgar, but rather went up to her door and begin to unlock it. Edgar wouldn't let her get away so easily, though. Instead, he swiftly ascended the stairs and grabbed her right arm with his right hand. Spinning her around, he caught her off guard, but he was also surprised at what he saw.

There were just a few tears beginning to cascade down her cheeks. (F/n) tried to look away from him and get out of his grip, but he quickly switched his hand to her left arm to get a better grip on her. Furthermore, he lifted his left hand to her chin and held her face in place. "Did I upset you that much?"

Her lips quivered slightly, as she tried to pull herself together before answering in an angered tone, "What do you think?"

Just watching her shed tears in front of him caused him to almost sway away from his game. It was painful to see them and to see her (e/c) eyes filled with great dislike, which was directed at him. At the same time, however, he enjoyed the sight before him. Each clear droplet sparkled under the light by her apartment door. They were more precious than diamonds ever could be. Furthermore, he wished he had a glass to collect them in, for they were like the rich and sweet nectar that the Olympian Gods in mythology drank. Technically, he should've been more concerned by seeing them, but he found himself reveling them more and more as the seconds went by. Still, he hid this delight by wearing an expression of sadness.

"Fine, how about I make it up to you, (f/n)?"

Rather than accepting his offer, she managed to slap his hand away from her chin and wrench her arm from his grasp. She sent a scowl his way before she turned on her heel and headed into her home. About to close the door, she heard Edgar say in slightly begging tone, "Surely, you can't turn down free food. Let me take you to dinner."

Of course, his tone was entirely pretend, but he wanted to spend more time with her; he desired to play with her a little more. His tone seemed to have some effect on her, and he inwardly smiled when she turned back around. Consideration was evident in her eyes, but hesitation was there as well.

"And where would we go? I'm sure most of the restaurants are closed by now."

"I have some arrangements in mind, but let me make it a surprise. That will make this apology all the better."

"Fine, but I'm still pissed off at you," she replied before coming back onto the stairs and locking her door behind her. "How are we going to get there, though? Is it close by?"

"Just wait and see," he responded, retrieving his phone from his left jacket pocket. He would call his driver to come pick them up. (F/n) may get suspicious as to how he could afford a chauffeur with his job position, but he could always make up some lie for the time being. Edgar wasn't ready to tell her the truth yet.

After making the call, Edgar stood at the bottom of the steps and (f/n) waited nearby. She kept her gaze focused on anywhere but him, and she made this rather obvious. Every time he went to make eye contact with her, she would pretend to not notice and look in another direction. As for him, he just decided to keep his gaze locked on her until she got too uncomfortable with it. Eventually, she would have to say something, and she did.

About ten minutes into him just looking at her, she met his gaze and uttered, "Will you cut that out and look somewhere else?"

Smirking at her answer, he heard a car pulling up and averted his attention towards it. With his driver waiting for the two of them to enter, Edgar signaled (f/n) to follow him after answering, "The ride's here." He could tell that he irked her more with his response; he had after all ignored her question.

Thus, she huffed in response before marching into the car after Edgar opened the door for her. She wasn't expecting this to be their means of transportation. Granted, she was expecting a car but not this kind. Something seemed amiss in this puzzle, and once again she doubted that Edgar would explain it.