Evening's Return

Once the movie finished, she left the theater and found the Lincoln Town Car still parked out front. Lowell was sitting inside and waiting. Going up to the car, she knocked on the passenger's window to get his attention. He looked over before he pressed the unlock button in the car. She stepped into the car and saw him put a newspaper on the back seat. Well, at least he had something to do while she was watching a movie.

When she had asked him what he was reading, he just pointed with his right thumb to the newspaper on the backseat. Afterwards, he started the car and drove back to the house. Granted, (f/n) was slightly irritated by his response. Of course, she should've figured that he would reply in such a way, since none of the house staff and workers seemed to like to talk to her very much. Regardless, she reached back and grabbed the newspaper with her right hand. With the newspaper in her possession, she started to look through the articles and read some of them to pass the time.

Upon arriving at the house, she left the newspaper in the car and thanked Lowell for the ride. He merely gave her a curt nod and drove into the garage after she closed the passenger door. With the car and him gone, (f/n) looked over the exterior of the house and let out a long sigh. She wondered if she should've stayed out longer and enjoyed her time alone more. Part of her told her that she should've. The other section argued that she had spent the proper amount of time out.

In the end she accepted the decision that she made. She knew that the movie would've been more enjoyable had Edgar been there with her. It was just strange to think that for quite some time she wanted that time to herself, where she could go into town with no one else. Now, she was satisfied and didn't desire it anymore. (F/n) wanted Edgar's company; she didn't desire to discard it for a period of time.

She was done with that line of thinking. From now on she would appreciate more the time that she spent with Edgar. Besides, he had even admitted that he cherished her greatly. Even if he teased and irritated her, she still understood that behind it all he deeply cared for her.

So, with her mind made up, she entered the house and closed the doors behind her. She didn't know where Edgar was, but she felt like she should at least find him. Thus, she decided to head to his workshop. When she didn't find him in there, she closed the workshop and saw one of the maids walking by. (F/n) went over to her and asked where Edgar could be found. When she was told that he was in the living room, she asked where that particular room was.

With the directions now in her mind, she went a few doors down to the right of the workshop door. Opening the door, she peeked inside and saw no one inside. Confused, she stepped into the room further and closed the door behind her quietly.

Walls were painted a rich maroon, and walnut crown molding went around the perimeter of the ceiling. Opposite the door, black paned French doors opened up onto the back courtyard of the house. Currently, the doors were closed, but the maroon curtains weren't shut. Decorating the walls of the room were paintings of chess scenes. To add to the chess theme, there was a chess table placed to the left of the door. Polished walnut chairs, which had black cushions, matched the elegant game table. As for the other furniture items, they consisted of the black leather couch and two black leather arm chairs. There was one armchair on each side of the couch. Across from the couch, a large television rested on the wall.

Additionally, there was a maroon plush blanket on the couch. From her position in the doorway, she wouldn't have been able to see the blanket, so it was a good thing that she took another step into the room. This was because the blanket seemed to have a form under it. Perhaps, Edgar had fallen asleep. Such a possibility seemed likely, since the television was still turned on. A small smile touched her lips, as she noticed what channel was on. An animated mystery show was playing, and it was most likely directed at a child audience. Of course, she still watched such shows herself when she lived back at her apartment. In fact she loved this particular show; she had enjoyed it ever since she was kid.