Spitting Image Pt. 2 | Steve Rogers

"Samsara, are you okay?" Wanda asked, concern lacing her voice. You were frantically pacing around the room, lacing your fingers together, and clenching them into fists.

"No, I'm not, Wanda."

"What happened here?" Pietro zoomed into the room, also creating a small gust of wind as he stopped.

You shrugged. "That man... Captain Rogers, he... Recognized me."

Wanda raised an eyebrow. "So? We're in HYDRA Files. You were probably a target."

You shook your head, finally pausing in your steps. "He called me (Y/N)."

Wanda gasped.

"N-now, I know this may sound weird... but it sounds so familiar."

Wanda and Pietro shared a glance that did not go unnoticed by you.

"What is it?"

You could tell they were communicating between themselves using Wanda's abilities, and they knew something you did not.

"Spit it out!"

Wanda flinched and turned to you, Pietro staring off into the distance behind her, as if he strongly disagreed with her. "I don't know what this means," she took a step forward, laying her palms out, a red orb of energy swirling above. "But if HYDRA wiped your memories, I can still recover them. They're still in your mind, just... buried."

You looked to Pietro, whose eyes were unsure. "Is it safe?"

Wanda shrugged. "I've never tried it before."

You nodded. "If it means finding answers then I'll do it."

"No, (Y/n)." Pietro urged, grabbing your arm. "We don't know if she'll wipe you, or kill you. If this doesn't work, you'll forget us."

"Oh, Pietro." You placed your hand on his cheek. "These three years, you've been like a brother to me. I could never forget you."

Your other hand grabbed his hand and gave it a tight squeeze. "But I want to remember my past, too. Let me do this."

After a moment of thinking, he finally nodded, letting your arm go. You kneeled down in front of Wanda and she placed her hands on your scalp, her eyes turning red, while yours closed.

The memories flashed in your eyes, some vivid, but most an incomprehensible blur, although you understood all of them.

Wanda finally took a step back, panting from the over-exertion of her powers.

Your eyes were still shut, as you slowly stood up, processing the information.

It was all a puzzle, that you found, had the wrong pieces to. Everything you knew was wrong.

Your eyes snapped open, the red mist just barely draining out of your pupils as you gasped. "We have to get out of here."

Wanda and Pietro were utterly confused as you pushed them towards the door. "Wha-"

"Now."

Finally reunited with the rest of the Avengers, although not yet comfortable with them, you fought with them on the now floating city of Sokovia.

SHIELD had just come to the rescue, and most of the citizens were on the lifeboats.

It was you who saw the Quinjet in the distance first.

And you who saw Clint in the line of fire.

And your force field wasn't fast enough to stop the bullets from penetrating the person you considered your brother for the past two years.

You watched him die in your arms.

You felt Wanda's pain and felt the blast of energy as she fell to her knees.

Clint took him from your arms and carried him to the lifeboat, and you sat there, staring at the blood on your hands with disgust.

Steve pulled you to your feet by your shoulders and led you to the lifeboat, sitting you down as he scanned for more survivors.

He noticed the jets fire up, and jumped into the lifeboat just as the island rocketed back to the ground.

In your comms, you heard Tony's plan to destroy the island had failed, and you stood up. Looking off the side of the craft, you made the choice to jump.

Steve caught you by your arm, holding you in place.

"(Y/N), no! I'm not letting you go again!" He yelled over the sound of air whipping past your ears.

You looked up into his eyes, shaking your head. "Steve!" You paused and watched as his eyes danced around the sky, before meeting your gaze.

"It wasn't you who let go."

You made a force field, which pushed you away from Steve, and then used it to carry you down to the meteor, and down onto the church.

Quickly drilling a hole with your force field, you stood in the middle of the asteroid and expanded the force field, breaking apart the rock.

Everything cracked around you, and you continued falling with the rubble, having exhausted all your energy.

You landed in the water, large rocks and metal landing around you, and your last sight being the water, flickering beautifully as light streamed through the twisted metal like candlelight.

You woke up gasping in a bright room.

The walls were painted a boring white that stung your eyes, and a window revealed that you were right in the middle of a clearing.

You sat up with a groan, your throat aching from inhaling water. A nurse walked in with a clipboard, and then looked up, dropping it, and closing the door, her mouth gaping like a fish.

A few moments later, Steve walked in, panting as if he'd just ran a mile. (Which he probably did, considering it would take a lot to tire him.)

"You're awake."

You nodded, slowly swinging your legs around the side of the bed and placed your bare feet against the linoleum.

The cold floor sent a shiver up your spine and you tried shifting your weight to your feet, falling into Steve's arms.

"I realize that," you grunted as he sat you back down on the bed.

He kneeled in front of you. "Do you have any idea how much I've missed you? One minute, you're gone, and the next, you're fighting for my enemy."

You sent him a small smile. "To be fair, I was wiped."

He searched your eyes, finally sighing, and pulling your forehead to his, your eyes fluttering shut at the warmth. The act was unfamiliar, but was comforting.

"I never told you this, but I lo-"

"I love you too." You cut him off.

No other words were needed as his lips finally met yours.