Ch14.) Before the ball

"Giovanna!" Angelica Called from her doorstep as I slowed my horse.

We screamed and ran at each other, embracing tightly. She gripped my chin in her hand and looked me over. I laughed and brushed her off.

"I'm fine Angelica! I promise you," I said.

"Angelica! Is Giovanna here!" I heard Peggy call.

"Is that my little Peggy!" I called in response.

Angelica's eyes widened and she stepped out of the way before a blur of yellow plowed me over.

"Hey Pegs!" I grinned as she leapt at me and knocked me to the ground.

"I'm so happy you're OK! I've been worried to death!" Peggy cried.

"Oh, come on Peggy. I think you would find a way to bring me back to life only to kill me again if I died." I teased

"Come now girls, have some sense of propriety," Mr. Schuyler called.

"Sir!" I smiled, brushing the dirt off of my uniform.

"Dear Giovanna Hamilton," He smiled fondly.

I smiled as He pulled me into a hug when I reached the top of the stairs.

"I'm happy you're alright," He smiled when we pulled away. "Now Gia, I have got something for you from Mrs. Washington," Mr. Schuyler said picking a box up from the table.

I looked at him shocked as I began to open it.

"Oh my god,"

Martha had sent me a dress. Angelica and Peggy's awed and almost immediately began to fuss over who would be doing my hair. A blush covered my cheeks and the girls dragged me upstairs.

"Eliza! Giovanna is here!" Peggy called excitedly.

I heard the thunk of a book before I heard the footsteps of the middle sister.

"Giovanna!" She smiled brightly.

"Eliza!" I beamed, hugging her tightly.

"Are you excited for the ball! I can't wait to dance all night! Do you know of any cute men coming!" Eliza rambled..

We all sat in the study catching up on what the sisters had been up to while I was gone. The sky had began to darken when Angelica spoke up, announcing it was time to get ready.

"So, we all know i'm doing her hair." Angelica said dragging me off before her sisters could object, slamming and locking her door.

"Now I have you alone," she giggled evilly.

"Oh no," I said dramatically as I pulled my dress on.

By the time I was finished with my eyeliner Angelica was already dressed and set, waiting for me so she could do my hair.

"So, tell me more about what happened with Mr. Laurens," She said, brushing my hair.

I leaned into the attention, trying to keep my focus on something other than crying.

"Well.. I thought things were going great. We spent all of our resting time together. We stole kisses. I brought your letter to the General and I was giddy. I couldn't keep my thoughts from dancing with John all night. That We would take a walk around your fountain and I ran into Alexander...Well you know the rest." I said with a forced laugh. "The worst thing is, We're going to meet her tonight," I said looking at Angelica, tears brimming my eyes.

"Oh my sweet Giovanna," Angelica said hugging me, she kissed my cheek and wiped my eyes. "Don't cry, you'll ruin your make-up," She said patting my cheek.

"I'll be fine Angel, I'd rather be his friend than nothing at all." I whispered.

"Come on, we'll have fun tonight!" She promised linking arms with me as we made our way downstairs.

A/n; The outfit is from my polyvore---->