Ch 58.) burn

I held Angelica's hand as we made our way through the courtyard later that night, lantern in my hand and letters in hers.
"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked sitting beside her on the marble bench after fetching a bucket.
"More than anything, this will heal both of us," She whispered, opening the small chest containing our courtship letters.
I nodded and took the first one, holding it open and running my hand over the raised ink.
"I saved every letter you wrote to me From the moment I read them. I knew you were mine You said you were mine I thought were mine,"
"Do you know what Peggy had said When we saw your first letters arrive? She said: "Be careful with those two, love they will do what it takes to survive."
"You and your words flooded my senses Your sentences left me defenseless You built me palaces out of paragraphs You built cathedrals" I whispered softly flipping through the pages.
"I'm re-reading the letters you wrote me I'm searching and scanning for answers In every line For some kind of sign And when you were mine The world seemed to burn Burn," Angelica took the first step and placed the paper against the flame of the lantern, watching for a moment at the letter blazed before dropping it in the bucket.
"You published the letters she wrote you You told the whole world how you brought these girls Into our bed In clearing your names You have ruined our lives," Angelica hissed, her eyes welling with tears.
"Do you know what Angelica said When she read what you'd done? She said: "You have married an Icarus. He has flown too close to the sun." You and your words obsessed with your legacy Your sentences border on senseless-"
"And you are paranoid in every paragraph, How they perceive you-" Angelica tacked on.
"You, you, you," We both hissed.
"I'm erasing myself from the narrative" Angelica decided.
"Let future historians wonder How Gia reacted When you broke her heart, You have torn it all apart" I continued,
"I'm watching it burn Watching it burn" We both forced out.
"The world has no right to my heart," I shouted, sending us sadness and betrayal bubbling over.
"The world has no place in our bed" Angelica agreed.
"They don't get to know what I said," We agreed.
"I'm burning the memories, Burning the letters, that might have redeemed you" Angelica said,
"You forfeit all rights to my heart," Angelica cried, tears spilling down our cheeks.
"You forfeit the place in our bed," I sobbed.
"You'll sleep in your office instead. With only the memories of when you were mine... I hope that you burn" we both took an edge of the chest and dumped the rest of the letters in the bucket, the fire spiking lighting our tear stained faces.
Angelica was right, therapeutic.