Ch 56.) One last time

"Mr. President, you asked to see us?" Alexander asked as we stepped into the office.
"I know you're busy," Washington said softly.
"what do you need, sir?" I asked.
"I wanna give you a word of warning," He sighed.
"Sir, I don't know what you heard, But whatever it is, Jefferson started it." Alexander defended.
"Alex," I warned.
Thomas and I had been corresponding, trying to work things out.
"Thomas Jefferson resigned this morning," Washington said, leaning back against his desk.
"You're kidding?" I asked, confusion covering my features.
"I need a favor"
Whatever you say, sir, Jefferson will pay for his behavior"
"Alexander!" I hissed elbowing him
"Shh. Talk less," Washington said with a fond smile.
"I'll use the press, I'll write under a pseudonym, you'll see what I can do to him!"
I glared even harder at my brother and he looked at me sheepishly
"I need you to draft an address," He said, handing me a quill and piece of parchment.
"Yes! He resigned. You can finally speak your mind" Alex said giddily.
"No, he's stepping down so he can run for President"
"Excuse me?" I questioned
"Ha. Good luck defeating you, sir," Alexander laughed
"I'm stepping down. I'm not running for President" Washington smiled.
"I'm sorry, what?" Alexander glared at me looking for answers
"I didn't know!" I Defended.
"You didn't?" Washington asked.
"No! You'd think he'd run this by his Wife and daughter!" I muttered distastefully under my breath. "I have to go"
Washignton kissed my cheek, and smiled down at me.
I strode down the hallway towards my husband's office and knocked briskly on the door.
"Enter," He drawled coolly.
I took a deep breath and opened the door, coming to a halt in front of his desk.
"Thomas," I said, trying to keep my composure.
His head whipped up and he stood so fast he banged his knees against the desk.
"Gia," He whispered
"Why didn't you tell me," I demanded.
"Because i knew what you would say. Besides, I'm not even sure where we stand at this point, Giovanna!" he argued back.
"Exactly my point! You will be having all this press and we don't even live together anymore Thomas! What would you say when reporters ask about your daughter...me!" I took a deep watery breath, trying to control my emotions.
"Look, I stood by and watched you follow your dreams and loved you through it."
"You loved me through it!" I scoffed in disbelief.
"I made a mistake Gia! The biggest regret of my life, just.....I bought a temporary residence here in new york....just come home," He begged, "One last chance,"
I took a breath and stared at the ground, thinking of our daughter who missed her father desperately.
"Fine,"
He smiled and moved to embrace me.
"Dont, I'm doing this for Adrienne, not you. You have yet to earn my forgiveness, don't think it so easy to obtain"