Ch 34.) Maybe This Time

After our beach picnic Thomas dropped me off back at Lafayette's, kissing my hand gently before bidding me goodnight. I closed the door, closed my eyes, and leaned against it. A smile on my lips.

"Mon Bourdon?" A voice asked stirring me out of my haze.

I was mt with the teasing gaze of my friend. He had a huge smile on his lips and was nearly bouncing in place.

"Alright Cher, get it out." I sighed bracing myself for the verbal assault.

"Where did he take you? Was he a gentleman? DO I HAVE TO FIGHT HIM FOR YOUR LOVE!" Lafayette rambled, getting louder with each question as he pulled me into a hug.

I laughed and but my hands around his shoulders and rested my head on his chest and sighed contently.

"Relax Laff, besides I think out of anyone to fight for my love it would be Alexander!" I beamed.

Laff smiled and held me at arm length his face turning serious.

"Did he treat you right?"

"I promise Laff, he took me to the beach, it was amazing. He listened about my past and didn't try to sympathise. He was just...Amazing," I breathed.

"Oh Mon Amour, leave Giovanna alone, I'm sure The minister treated her very respectfully. She looks exhausted!" Adrienne scolded.

Lafayette released me from his hold and went over and kissed her head.

"Adrienne, Mon Bourdon is like my sister. I want the best for her." He explained

"Oh, Laff. Who knows...Maybe this time, i'll be lucky." I sighed, a happy smile on my lips.

"You seem so happy Gia, i've never seen you like this," Adrienne gushed, rushing over to me and gripped my hands in her own.

"Oh so that's why you wanted me to leave her alone!" Laff accused.

"Oui Mon Cher! But I am a woman, I am a different story," She said, sticking her tongue out at her husband.

I laughed at the childish pair. I wrapped Adrienne in a tight hug before.

"You're right, I've never been this happy but..." I trailed off.

"What is it?" She asked.

"My mind kept drifting back to John." I admitted.

"Oh darling, you need to move on. You seem like you could be genuinely happy," Lafayette said sadly.

"Me too," I murmured.

"It will pass, especially if you spend more time with that hunky government official," Laff said teasingly.

"I hope your right Laff," I said, thinking back to that flawless, freckle free skin and those entrancing glittering eyes.

I hoped that this time in France would get rid of the thought of John that plagued my mind but I could always feel his phantom touch. Lady peaceful...Lady Happy. That's what I longed to be. Maybe the odds would be in my favor this time and I would forget my time with the man who stole my heart so long ago, and maybe this time i'd win.