Ch 25.) The Battle Of Yorktown

The battle of Yorktown. 1781

"Alexander!" I called excitedly, running from Lafayette's side to jump into my brothers open arms.

"Gia!" He exclaimed, wrapping his arms around me tightly.

We pulled away matching smiles on our lips.

"You have a job to do Colonel ," I teased, shoving him towards Lafayette.

"Monsieur Hamilton!" Lafayette Laughed, clapping him on the shoulder.

"Monsieur Lafayette!" Alexander laughed

"In command where you belong," Lafayette smirked.

"How you say, no sweat. We're finally on the field. We've had quite a run" Alex said breathlessly.

I'd never seen a smile quite as large on his face since he married Angelica. I scurried and stood between them.

"Immigrants:" Lafayette started.

"We get the job done," We all laughed, high fiving each other.

"So what happens if we win?" I asked.

"I go back to France. I bring freedom to my people if I'm given the chance," Laff shrugged.

"We'll be with you when you do." Alexander promised.

"Go, lead your men." Lafayette said, shrugging Alex off.

"See you on the other side," Alexander said, saluting Laff.

"'Til we meet again, let's go!" Lafayette beamed rushing off to lead his troop.

I stood side by side with Alexander as he went to explain the plan to the troops.

"I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory. Is this where it gets me: on my feet the enemy ahead of me?" I whispered.

Alex gripped my hand tightly.

"If this is the end of me, at least I have a friend with me. Weapon in my hand, a command, and my men with me..." He trailed off, his eyes widened as he looked down at me. "The I remember Angelica's expecting me. Not only that my Angelica's expecting." He whispered.

"I never said how excited I was did I?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Well, congrats brother dear. Now...We gotta go, gotta get the job done!" I said, excitedly.

"Gotta start a new nation, gotta meet my son!" Alexander said, letting go of my hand.

He called the men to order.

"Take the bullets out your gun!"

"What!" They exclaimed.

I gave Alex a confused look.

"The bullets out your gun! We move under cover and we move as one. Through the night, we have one shot to live another day. We cannot let a stray gunshot give us away.! We will fight up close, seize the moment and stay in it.

"It's either that or meet the business end of a bayonet," I said, finally understanding his plan.

"The code word is 'Rochambeau,' dig me?" Alexander snapped.

None of the men answered.

"Repeat!" I snapped harshly.

"Rochambeau!" Chorused.

"You have your orders now, go, man, go!" Alexander dismissed.

Alex and I walked through camp, making sure that all the men were getting prepared.

"Colonel Hamilton!" Someone called.

"Hercules!" I Shouted.

"Lil G!" He laughed hugging me tightly.

"Alexander!" Hercules smiled shaking hands.

Our little reunion was cut short when General Washington calling to us to move out. It was exhilarating to fight side by side with my brother. It was exhilarating, the blood spilling from redcoats made my heart pound and my adrenalin rise....After a week of fighting a young redcoat stood on a parapet. We lowered our guns as he frantically waved a white handkerchief. Hercules and I helped tend to the wounded as Laff and Alex helped Washington count the dead.

"Does this mean we're free sir?" I heard Alex ask.

"Not yet," Washington said.

We negotiated the terms of surrender. I saw the rare sight of Wash---Dad, as I was now asked to call him since we were no longer commander and soldier---Smile. We escorted their men out of Yorktown. Thousands of men retreated, the church bells rang loud and proud. Civilians flooded the streets cheering and children chased the redcoats with glee. Raise a glass to freedom.