Ch 23.) That Would be Enough

ANGELICA'S P.O.V

I stood in front of the mirror my hand stroking my stomach absentmindedly. A tender smile on my lips.

"Look around, look around at how lucky we are To be alive right now. Look around, look around," I sang softly, a smile on my lips.

I heard bags drop and I spun around to come face to face with Alexander. I gasped as I locked eyes with him before his locked onto my stomach.

"How long have you known?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"A month or so," I whispered back, refusing to meet his gaze.

I heard rather than saw him taking steps towards me. He put his hand on my cheek and forced me to look at him.

"Angelica, you should've told me," He said.

"I wrote to The General a month ago,"

"No"

"I begged him to send you both home," I said, tears filling my eyes.

"You should've told me," He said, tears filling his eyes as well.

"I'm not sorry," I responded, completely unapologetic. "I knew you would fight until the war was won-"

"The wars not done," I smiled as he interrupted me.

"But you deserve a chance to meet your son, Alexander." I said fiercely.

I took Alex's hands into my own, forcing him to sit down onto the bench with me. I placed one of them on my stomach and laughed as the baby kicked against his hand. He looked up at me in wonder and pulled me into a kiss.

"Will you relish being a poor man's wife? Unable to provide for your life?" He asked, pain in his eyes.

I wanted to kiss him until all that pain faded, until he realized he would always be enough for me. I cupped his cheek and smiled as brightly as I could.

"I relish being your wife." I took a deep breath, "Look around, look around...Look at where you are. Look at where you started. The fact that you're alive is a miracle. Just stay alive, that would be enough." I whispered, kissing him softly.

He blushed softly and a let out a giggle.

"And if this child shares a fraction of your smile, Or a fragment of your mind, look out world! That would be enough." I sighed and looked down at our conjoined hands. "I don't pretend to know the challenges you're facing, the worlds you keep erasing and creating in your mind. But I'm not afraid, I know who I married. So long as you come home at the end of the day. That would be enough."

I stood and moved to stand behind him. I ran my hands soothingly over his tense shoulders.

"We don't need a legacy. We don't need money,"

Alex took one of my hands and kissed it.

"If I could grant you peace of mind. If you could let me inside your heart... Oh, let me be a part of the narrative In the story they will write someday. Let this moment be the first chapter: Where you decide to stay. And I could be enough. And we could be enough. That would be enough."

I laughed when he abruptly stood and pulled me into a kiss that I never wanted to end. He pulled away and pressed his forehead against my own.

"Wait, where is Giovanna?" I asked.

"She was kept behind," Alexander murmured.

"Oh Alexander," I whispered.

"I don't know what to do without my sister Angelica," He said, panic rising

"Hey, she'll be ok. And so will you. I highly doubt your sister is done with you yet. She'll come home to us safe and sound."

"I love you," Alexander said, a bright smile on his lips.

"I love you impossibly more,"
----------------------------------------------------------------
A/N; Yay!!! HAMGELICA!!!! <3