1.

Why did it matter to wake up to see the brightness of the sun- or so they say. There is no brightness in the sun.. just a light for people to see during the day.

And so Monroe repeated her day with the same routine over and over again and nothing changed. Ever. Nothing changed in five years and she wanted it to stay that way.

Wake up, eat, work, read, sleep, repeat.

In her mind there was only chaos and she thought darkness and could only see darkness. And she could only think hatred and worry among herself as she thought she would never be worth it.

Wake up, eat, work, sleep, repeat.

And so she was off to work with a book in hand and her eyes mesmerized by the words on the paper. And although it was hard as she had to squint her eyes a bit as she looked at the words she couldn't help but be so invested in the plot, how fine the detail was, the way the author put such thought into each sentence that she didn't realize someone was coming towards her.

Her book and along with her other things fell to the ground but thankfully; for once, she remained standing.

"I'm sorry," she apologized for her clumsy act. She bent down to see two editions of the Great Gatsby.

And maybe it was fate that brought them together.

Or perhaps it was just a coincidence that two broken people found each other at the time they needed someone the most.

"You like the Great Gatsby I'm assuming?" Monroe  asked without looking at the person, still looking at her book.

"Yes uh I read it three times," a husky British voice said and she looked up immediately mesmerized by his voice.

He was tall, that's the first thing she noticed when she looked up. His hair length was right to his ear but it was curled while the top was matted back. His eyes were a whole different story. Most people would say that he had pale green eyes but the colour of his eyes were the last thing she thought of.

There was something about the way he looked at her like he was begging her to know his story but at the same time he was shielding it from everyone. He was in a war with himself and simply no one would know unless you've been through it yourself.

Monroe realized she was staring at him far too long as he started to clear his throat and she awoke from her daze.

"Oh um I'm sorry," she spoke quietly as she handed him his book without thinking that it might have been hers.

"So you just started reading the book?"

"Yeah um I did... it's really good so far and I love their- Daisy's and Gatsby's chemistry."

"Why?" He asked a bit harshly and it wasn't intentional- it was never intentional. He just never like to keep his guard down.

Well before her anyways.

"Um I don't know it's just that they separated for awhile but their connection was always strong."

"I would say it's all bullshit," he said bluntly and she refrained herself from rolling her eyes.

"You believe what you want. You're entitled to your own opinion as am I," she said calmly.

And with that she continued her walk to work, trying to avoid the awkward silence that was filling the air. But she was drawn to him although their were lack of words said to one another.