1.

Chapter 1:

February 2016

Here I am in my senior year of college and going to games living out a revived love for the game. I sat there with my best friend, Jared, watching the visitors warm up, with a small smile on my face. I took a couple pictures of the captains and other honorable mentions on their team but the ones we were here to see were on the other side of the ice at the moment. Jared was a huge Malkin and Maatta fan and I was an obsessive Letang fan. Of course we were more than upset that the defensive dynamic duo had been broken up this year. However, with Maatta missing so much of last year with his multiple injuries and surgeries, it was probably best he wasn't top pair with Tanger and have a bull's eye on his back. 

Jared's parents had gotten him glass seats for his birthday with the pretense of us going half with them. It evened out and would be totally worth it for sixty minutes nearly a foot away from our favorite team in the world. This was the first time sitting truly on the glass and I was thrilled to be so close to the men I adore. 

After antagonizing the much-hated Ranger's players earning us a couple slams into the glass, the buzzer sounded signaling the start of the game was getting closer.

The period so far was rough, with a lot of hits, blocked shots, and sadly a goal for the Rangers. I have gotten some amazing pictures, especially a few great ones of Kris Letang, which made these seats worth every penny we spent on them.

As Fleury gloved a shot, we had a face off next to us. I got excited as the players all moved out of the way for the ice crew to allow them to clean up all the snow. Olli and Lovejoy were closest to us so we decided to try to be obnoxious in hopes of even getting a glance. Jared being a Maatta fan obviously wanted to try to get him to look our way.

"OLLI!!!" We called out together as we pounded on the glass trying to get his attention. He glanced over at us before raising his glove in a short wave. It was a TV time out so he wouldn't have much time for our petty interactions. But I'm sure it made Jared's life and I couldn't deny Olli's cuteness in the small gesture. However, he looked back at us a second time. I now noticed a slight pink tinge to his cheeks as he locked eyes with me. His lips turned up into a bashful smile before Tanger came over and hit his right leg with his stick breaking our trance. Olli changed his focus to the veteran defenseman and before nodded before heading to the bench.

"You and Olli totally just had a moment and your favorite player ruined it."

"We did not have a moment."

"So you both locked eyes, blushing like school girls I may add, and him smiling in a very serious game is just a normal interaction with a fan."

Inside I was completely agreeing with him but I could not let him think he was right.

"I'm a Tanger girl you know that." I said mater-of-factly.

"So you're saying that if that six-foot plus, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, professional-hockey-playing Fin asked you out, you would say no?"

"I..." I stuttered. Damn him, I would say yes in a heartbeat. I mean he's only a few months older than me; he's hot, and seems super sweet in the interviews I've seen.

"That's what I thought." He said smirking before returning his attention to the game, which had went to the other end of the ice. I rolled my eyes at him and returned my own gaze to the game as well.

The second period was scoreless, but it was getting even more ugly with the hitting. Not that I'm surprised, New York and Washington are rivalries that usually spark aggression on both sides. Since my eye contact with Olli I was more attentive to him. A particularly bad hit on him had me grab Jared's arm, which earned a chuckle. I tried to ignore him and his antics and focus on the remainder of the game. Several blocked shots, uncalled penalties, and even a waved off goal had the crowd in an up roar. It seemed like these refs had no eyes tonight. I huffed before taking a drink of my pop and wanting to slam it down on the ground.

"Now now my little hockey princess." Jared jested. I loved him to death but his teasing tonight is getting on my nerves.

"These refs are really starting to piss me off."

"Well, they tend to more often then not. I've watched three seasons of hockey with you."

"This is very true." I said grinning slightly knowing the accuracy of his last statement. I have been watching games since I was little, so I get more into the game then most girls my age, even more than the guys in some cases. I was very vocal and threw tantrums much like players over bad calls and other irritating aspects of the game.

The third period was rather infuriating as the Rangers scored an additional two goals to rub salt into the wounding loss. It was getting closer to playoffs and the last stretch of the season was no easy schedule for us. We would need every single point we can get.

With the final horn sounding, the game was over and sadly the Rangers were walking away with the victory. Jared and I took a few pictures on the ice as we waited for the crowds to slowly make their way out of Consol. With one last look at the glass and near empty stands, I sighed with sorrow but a slight content. I felt at home in his building. I wish I could dream about affording to come to more games. However, these seats tonight cost us about 3 months worth of spending money for one ticket. Playoffs would be our next adventure and I would start picking up shifts now at the library just to afford those tickets before moving home for the summer.

"So you're a Tanger girl eh? Pretty sure you were watching a certain Fin most of the night." Jared said as we sat in the cluster that was post-game traffic. I had already posted several pictures to social media and most were of Tanger and Olli.

"Are they ever on the ice together? I still watch the game even when Kris isn't on the ice." I huffed annoyed he was still stuck on this.

"Just saying you seemed much more attentive to Maatta after your little staring contest."

"So what if I was following Olli closer?"

"I just find it entertaining. You and Olli would be cute together." He said smirking as he focused back on the road.

"Just stop please. It was eye contact, a petty interaction. I doubt I'll ever see him again outside of hockey."

Oh how wrong I was.