19.

Chapter 19:

I'm sad to say as the final buzzer sounded, the Lightening had won 4 to 2. The boys had fought hard; trust me it was a very physical game and even had a goal called back for off sides. But as time expired the visitors had two more goals then the home team. I was now very weary of my trip down stairs to the family lounge to wait for Olli. I have yet to be around him following a loss and had no clue how to truly be a hockey girlfriend at this point.

We walked down through the now nearly empty Lexus club. I was carrying a sleeping Alexander, since it was well past his bedtime. I stopped by the long glass windows to look out at the city. It was truly beautiful from this new angle looking towards the heart of town.

"Hold still for a second." I heard Cathy say behind me. I heard her phone click and knew she had taken a picture.

"What's your number so I can send it to you? Plus you'll have my number if you need anything. I come to most games but not all of them, so let me know when you plan on coming and I'll try to not leave you alone with the rest of the sharks. As I'm sure you noticed most of the wives are very kind and accepting but the a few of girlfriends can still be bitchy." She said tucking her phone away.

"Yes, I noticed the two circles everyone separated into. But thanks for your number. I feel like I really won't wanna come up here if you or Vero aren't here."

"I will send you Vero's numbers as well so you can message her as needed. We want you to feel welcome because I can see you sticking around for a while." She said hugging me as we reached the elevator.

"I sent that picture to Olli, since he's jealous of Alexander." She said chuckling as the doors opened.

"I'm sure he'll love that, this little man is his only competition." I said smiling at the sleeping boy.

"Alexander steals many hearts." She said running a hand over his cheek as we reached the family longue.

"However, he has surprisingly gotten attached to you pretty quickly. But I figure it is because he associates you with Olli." Her last sentence struck me to the core.

"I never thought of it that way, but it's probably true. I'm nothing special really, why would he like me on his own? I mean I still haven't figured out why Olli picked me out of the crowd that night." I suddenly couldn't stop. I let every insecurity and self doubt float to the front of my thoughts.

"I'm no model or heiress nor an upper class socialite. Olli worries I'm using him for his status and job, as do you. But no one thinks of it from my side. I'm scared I'm not good enough for him." I said closing my eyes and sitting down on the couch, careful of Alex who was still in my arms. It suddenly became way too much and I felt my lungs constrict.

"I'm not sure I belong in this world Cathy. I'm just a girl from a little town south of Pittsburgh. I come from a family with nearly nothing and I'm just trying to make it through school. People in this circle will never know me as Alyssa Parker, I will always just be Olli's girlfriend." I said letting a tear fall as I slid Alexander on to the couch and stood. I took a deep breath to try to calm my nerves and growing panic.

"Tell Olli I got sick and had to leave early. I can't stay here right now." I started out of the room and just walked back towards the elevators. I pulled out my phone ready to call Jared.

"Alyssa...wait I'm sorry... I didn't mean it how it sounded..." Cath said following me down the hallway.

"You might not have but it doesn't change that it's true." I paused to reply to the upset blonde.